Chapter 21. Dreaming of a better time.

It was the middle of the night and in her den wrapped up in Alonzo's embrace, Jemima was dreaming deeply. 

A single beam of moonlight shone down on the center of the yard and there standing admiring the moon was Grizabella. But she didn't appear how Jemima remembered her. From where Jemima was standing beside the old oven, Grizabella seemed young and angelic. Her coat was full and glossy, her eyes were no longer sad but full of life and joy. Though the young queen was disguised by the shadows, she was not hidden and Grizabella called upon her, holding out a graceful in Jemima's direction. Hesitant, she crept out from her hiding spot and joined the beautiful queen in the open air. Jemima had so many questions to ask, but as she tried to speak the words would not escape her mouth. 

"Oh my dear Jemima," Grizabella hummed softly, she cupped one of the smaller queen's cheeks with her and and brushed it gently with her thumb as she smiled. "Thank you for helping me reach the Heaviside Layer, I am so excited to be reborn!" Her voice was delicate and hopeful. Jemima couldn't help but smile, bittersweet tears formed in the corner of her eyes. One of Jemima's dark paws reached out to stroke the soft curls that draped over Grizabella's shoulder, but as she did the grey glamour cat who was truly beautiful once again, began to fade. 

"Wait!" Jemima awoke with a start, sitting bolt upright. 

Beside her, Alonzo's eyes snapped open to see his mate awake and panting. "Jems?" He croaked. 

"I saw her, Grizabella was in my dream." Jemima breathed. Now sitting up,  Alonzo faced his mate, his features knitted into a frown. 

"You saw Grizabella in your dream?" 

"Yes! And she said that she was going to be reborn soon..." The queen trailed off in thought.

"What does that mean...could it be?" Jemima didn't respond, they were both thinking the same thing, no doubt about it. 

Once morning had arrived, the pair made their way to Jelly and Jenny's infirmary den. They had hardly spoken, their minds were swirling with the possibility apparent. 

"Well good morning you too!" Jenny meowed brightly as Alonzo pulled the curtain aside. Today there were no patients in the infirmary which made a change for the two medical queens since they had been so busy recently. "What can I do for you today?" The Gumbie cat queried as she placed her knitting down. 

"I-I think I might be p-pregnant." Jemima muttered, her eyes were wide from the unknown. The older queen could tell that she was experiencing conflicting emotions. 

"Dearie, come lie down." Jennyanydots knelt down and patted the examination pillow for Jemima to lie on. As she did, Alonzo took his place beside his mate and held her paw, squeezing it in support. Jenny took her time with the relevant examinations, she even pulled out some odd pipe looking device and rested it upon Jemima's stomach to listen with. Several minutes passed and Jenny pulled away. "I'm sorry my dears, but there's no kitten." She sighed. Jemima hadn't even realized she'd been holding her breath but when she finally did exhale, she couldn't tell if it was in relief or not. Her eyes met Alonzo's and for once she couldn't read them. 

"OK, thank you Jenny." He said quietly before helping Jemima up. Walking out, Alonzo wrapped his arm around his mate's waist and he felt her body lean against his. The Gumbie cat watched in sorrow, it was so rare for a Jellicle to mistake the presence of a kitten, but on this occasion it just wasn't meant to be. 

Warm rays of morning sunlight began to cascade over the clearing of the Jellicle Junkyard and Old Deuteronomy closed his eyes in content as the warmth washed over him. He could hear the kits scamper out from their dens, greeting each other and laughing. In his old age Old Deuteronomy rarely visited the yard, Munkustrap was an excellent protector so there was never a need for the leader to be around unless it was the annual ball. Speaking of, the Jellicle ball was quickly approaching and the elder had to make his decision as to whom would ascend. But who would it be this year? Sometimes it wouldn't always be a Junkyard Jellicle to reach the Heaviside Layer. There were Jellicles all over the world, lost spirits that would be chosen wherever they were. Last year the spirit of an ill queen was delivered to the everlasting cat, she was somewhere halfway across the world and though none of the Jellicles had ever met her, they still honored her spirit as if she was a dear old friend in their own home. The old tom did not fret, when the time was right he'd make his decision and it would be the correct one. 

"Leader?" Came the meek voice of Tantomile. Old Deuteronomy opened his eyes to see the mystic female twin at the base of the tire. He smiled and patted the spot beside him. 

"My brother and I have come to a conclusion regarding Cassandra's kitten." 

"Do tell." The queen explained everything that she had discussed with Coricopat and Cassandra. The smile still remained on the leader's face as he listened patiently. Once Tantomile had finished Deuteronomy took hold of one of her paws. "It is indeed mysterious how magic works and very few understand it. The abilities that Cassandra and Admetus' offspring will be born with will no doubt bring challenges to his or hers life, but they will be a great asset to this tribe. You do not need to worry my dear." Weakly, the queen smiled but just as she was about to stand her eyes unfocused and an image appeared in her mind. On the outskirts of the clearing Coricopat shuddered, the feeling of defeat and disappointment wracked his body. 

"Leader..." Tantomile whispered softly. "The troop have returned to us." Not a moment later the chorus of kit's cries of joy flooded the yard. George, Callus and Hariena sprinted into sight pulling Demeter along behind them. Bomba, Caligo, Tugger, Misto (whom was carrying Sylvi), Jerrie, Angelo and Blizzard ran in after. Cats across the yard emerged and clapped with joy to see family and friends returned safely. The triplets surrounded their mother and embraced her tightly. Upon hearing the commotion outside, Munkustrap crawled out of his den, his eyes instantly falling upon his mate. 

"Demeter!" He cried, a grin spread over his silver face. The gold queen's head shot up to see her beloved speeding towards her. She kissed her kits before breaking into a run of her own. Their bodies practically slammed together as they wrapped their arms tightly around one another. Tears began to trickle down Demeter's face as Munkustrap's dark paw caressed her cheek. "I'm so glad you're safe! I love you, I love you, I love you!" 

"I love you too! Now shut up and kiss me!" She giggled. Without argument Munk leaned in and pressed his lips to hers. The tabby's arms tightened around Demeter's waist, for he feared that if he let her go she would vanish. 

Mungojerrie was stood in the clearing hastily glancing glancing around for Rumpleteazer, but for the life of him he could not spot his sister. Just as he was about to leave and search the yard, he was tackled from behind and hit the floor with a thud. "JERRIE!" Teazer screeched as she squeezed the male calico. 

"Teazerbutt!" He wheezed, her grip was almost iron but he couldn't care less, he held on to his twin sister with all of his might. 

Once the tribe had gathered the troop approached Old Deuteronomy. Demeter and Caligo stepped forwards and bowed their heads respectfully. "Leader, unfortunately our mission was unsuccessful and Macavity has not been defeated." Demeter announced sorrowfully. 

"But we were able to meet new friends along the way." Caligo added in, gesturing to Blizzard and Angelo. 

"And without them we probably wouldn't be standing here." Bombalurina mentioned. Rising to his feet, Old Deuteronomy extended a paw to Angelo and Blizzard. The grey tom seemed to retain a confident front yet Blizzard's head hung low. She could feel the eyes of the tribe burning into her, she was the spitting image of her mother yet she was painted with the colours of her father; two Jellicles whom held a rotten reputation in this yard. 

Angelo was the first to step up, he gently touched paws paws with the leader before bowing in respect. "Leader, my name is Angelo, former Henchcat for Macavity. I could no longer stand to work under the abusive and cruel conditions he put us through daily." 

The leader placed both of his paws upon the younger tom's shoulders. "Angelo, members of this tribe are loyal and caring to one another. We help friends in need and we protect one another. Are you willing to do so?" 

"I am leader." He responded softly, bowing again. 

Now Old Deuteronomy turned to Blizzard. "And you my dear, you feel as though you are unwelcome?" 

"Well would you feel welcome when you look exactly like the enemy of the tribe?" She scoffed, her fiery attitude made the elderly tom chuckle. 

"Our appearance and relations do not define us. It is what's inside that truly counts and you are your own Jellicle. I welcome you to this tribe, will you be loyal, caring and a protector to your peers?"

"I will!" She breathed in astonishment, a smile began to make an appearance upon her face. 

"Very well!" Old Deuteronomy boomed. "Welcome new friends to the Junkyard Tribe!"