Chapter 11. Blackstone Gate farm.

A savage thunderstorm rattled in the sky and viciously rain spat down to the gritty pavement. Mungojerrie cursed profusely to the lurking grey clouds, the expletives nearly rang louder than the frequent claps of thunder. 

"Yelling at the sky won't make it stop raining." Mistoffelees mumbled miserably, his usual glossy coat was soaked right through and lay unflatteringly limp, much like Tugger's sorry looking mane. 

"According to the map, there's a farm less than a mile up the road." The Tugger pointed out on the crumpled map. Misto double checked the map and sighed in relief. 

"We can find some shelter there and possibly some food." Demeter meowed. A sudden crack of thunder sent the Jellicles into quivering messes once again. Mungojerrie paused in his tracks to glance up at the lamppost directly above him, it shuddered uncertainly which made him shake his head before marching onward, ranting about unstable human technology. Caligo couldn't help but giggle from behind a paw at the tom's mannerisms, but she quickly ushered herself on when the light wobbled again. "Come on, not far now." 

Blackstone Gate farm was the largest farm in the area, which was saying something considering the map was only small, even for cat-size. There stood a large country-style farm house right in the center of the land with a garage and barn attached. On one side of the land there was a field of cattle peacefully grazing, despite the storm, and on the other side swayed what seemed like endless rows of corn. One by one, the cats wriggled under the gate, Tugger cursed violently to himself and he managed to slip into a puddle, sending Misto and Jerrie doubling over in laughter. 

"At least it wasn't cow crap!" Jerrie howled in hysterics. 

"Language, Mungojerrie!" Sharply, Deme scolded. 

"Dere ain't any kits around!" He shrieked in defense. The black and gold queen's eyes narrowed at him, causing his ears to slowly flatten against his head. 

"Does not hurt to have manners." She snapped back, effectively silencing the young cat burglar. Eventually, they moved on and prowled along the muddy cobbled path. The barn was up ahead and it was like a beacon of shining warm light to the Jellicles. From inside the barn a warm glow radiated from the crack in the double doors. Swiftly, the Jellicles bounded inside and wasted no time in shaking the rain droplets off of their coats. Stacks of hay piled high along the left wall leading up to a balcony area like huge steps and on the right side stood four individual stalls for horses. Apart from the dim lamplight, the barn was relatively dark and actually quite uninviting. 

"Deme, this place gives me the heebeegeebees..." Bombalurina muttered as she observed the area. 

Mistoffelees pounced up onto the haystack and paused for a moment to sniff the air, his ears swiveled and his nose twitched as he picked up on a scent. "There's been other cats here." He warned. 

"Are they Jellicles?" Tugger asked as he leapt up beside the magical tom. 

"Hard to tell with all of the conflicting animal smells." 

"I bet I stink from all the mud." Tugger grunted in disgust as he peered over his shoulder at his sorry excuse for a mane. 

"Yeah," Misto chuckled, "You do." 

Demeter hopped up onto the wooden window ledge and peered out at the frightful weather. "The storm doesn't look like it's going to calm any time soon, we should rest here for the night."