|Chapter 9|

To take revenge halfheartedly is to court disaster; either condemn or crown your hatred. -Pierre Corneille

Angie's party is in full swing by the time Nick and I arrive

Angie's party is in full swing by the time Nick and I arrive. Apparently, Nick hates coming to parties too early, so we went to grab a late dinner while everyone else headed over to Angie's house.

Oh, the awkwardness of that car ride. It was silent until we said our orders at the drive-thru. I just sat there uncomfortable looking out of the window while he drove with his white-knuckled hands gripped to the wheel.

I'd rather hitchhike rides home than experience that ever again.

At least I'm here. I can experience an Elite party while being an unofficial Elite myself.

The outside of Angie's house is relatively unassuming. It's strange for her neighborhood that every light is on after ten, so her house sticks out like a sore thumb in that way. Anyone driving by would know there's a rager inside.

We walk in to see her living room furniture has vanished and a DJ setup is in its place. Surrounding the DJ is most of the upperclassmen in school.

Their dancing is a stark contrast to what it was a few hours ago. No longer does their bodies have to be a few inches apart to be deemed appropriate. No longer does guy's hands have to be stiffly placed on the small of their date's back.

Now, most everyone has their partners stuck either in front of or behind them. Guy's hands are firmly placed on their date's ass, a predatorial behavior no doubt aimed to detour other suitors away.

Although it seems silly to me, I can't help but feel glad they're having the time of their lives. Marie told me I didn't have to snoop around tonight for dirt, but I can't help it. I've been taught from my mom to search and destroy ever since I can remember. It's an integral part of who I am.

I move to what looks like another living room in this gigantic house, and Nick goes off somewhere without a word spoken to me. This room is occupied by only the most popular of Silver Valley.

The kitchen has a dense, unmistakable odor of cannabis. Coughing heavily, everyone around me seems perfectly at ease with the strong smell. Angie and Peter light a joint, and I smile maniacally.

It's like they're handing evidence to me.

How I can use this illegal activity has not yet occurred to me, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Turning on my phone discretely, I start a voice recording, making sure to make the screen black. Getting caught eavesdropping on them would mean certain death.

"Hey Angie!" I walk up to her and Peter.

They both look pretty spaced out, almost as if it takes them a minute to recognize me. Angie looks disheveled, a stark contrast from her usual perfection. Peter is sitting on his suit jacket, and his tie is one small movement away from falling.