|Chapter 12|

A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept. -Carlos Ruiz Zafon

It's already lunchtime on Silver Valley's first Monday back from the mess that was Homecoming

I miss having Marie at my side. To not make The Elites suspicious of us, we decided to reduce the number of interactions between us during school.

They hate Marie, so I'd probably be kicked out of The Elites if we got caught together.

Once a sliver of doubt or speculation crosses Lauryn and Angie's mind, we're done for. They don't need concrete evidence to conclude that we're romantically involved. They're powerful enough so that everyone would believe what they said even if it were lies.

For my sanity, I'm extremely glad I didn't see my mom this morning when I got home to get my backpack. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to grab clothes, so Marie lent me some old pieces.

I've never looked this casual at school. Usually, I am primped to perfection. Today, I look sloppy.

I hope the other Elites won't take notice on my new look, but they probably will. Lauryn and Angie expect the best, which is far from how I look right now.

As I fear the worst, I pass by Nick talking to his non-Elite friends. Poppy is definitely going to ask if we're dating, so I need to figure out what we're collectively telling everyone.

After swallowing my pride, I decide to go up to him and his friends.

"Nick, can we talk?" All of their attention is diverted to me, a clumsily dressed girl who is supposed to be the pinnacle of popularity but looks anything but.

He glances over to his friends then back to me.

"Sure," He draws out.

Immediately, I pull him in a secluded corner. He's surprisingly easy to move around considering he's mostly hefty muscle.

"We're good, right?" I must sound crazy to him, but after how he treated me at the afterparty, I need to be sure he's not pissed.

Nick shrugs his shoulders indifferently.

"So, what are we going to tell the other Elites about what happened at the dance?" I ask, while he doesn't meet my eyes.

His eyebrows scrunch in confusion. "The truth?"

Irritation prickles at my skin, which seems to keep happening more often with my interactions with Nick

"Okay, so we tell the truth," I hypothesize. "And they'll think you're the worst date ever because I left you in the middle of the dance. Don't forget, I'll look like a major bitch!"

Not taking me seriously, he checks his phone and rolls his stupid brown eyes. I'm seconds away from exploding at him, but he finally speaks in a full sentence.