|Chapter 22|

If there were no mystery left to explore life would get rather dull, wouldn't it? -Sidney Buchman

It's Friday night, and Silver Valley's football team is about to take the field to fight for a state championship win

It's Friday night, and Silver Valley's football team is about to take the field to fight for a state championship win. Most of my peers surround me in the student section and sure, they're enjoying the pregame festivities, but what they're really hungry for is football.

Nick, Angie, Lauryn, and I are all wrapped up in a huge blanket, our faces being the only body parts exposed to the cold, biting air.

Somehow, Angie manages to make freezing cold look chic with a white knit scarf curled immaculately around her neck.

Lauryn's fashion resembles mine, which is based on functionality. Usually, we're styled to a tee with careful planning put into each outfit, but tonight, we simply threw on whatever layers were warmest.

"When is the team coming out on the field?" I yell to them over the chatter, entirely unsure as this is my first football game.

"Not too long...five minutes at most," Nick shouts back, his voice being drowned out by the marching band.

"Do they all come out at once?" Football isn't my expertise. In Germany, we mostly went to soccer or hockey games to pass the time. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen football being played outside of one or two movies.

"Duh," Angie says, her nose crimson red from the chill. "They need to show, like, team unity! Except Kell always goes back in the locker room to use his inhaler while they warm up."

There it is. This is why I came to the game. Peter told me days ago to open locker 14 and search for Kell's secret. Knowing he'll be coming back in the locker room at any moment, I must be quick.

"Why doesn't he just use his inhaler before they go out?" I ask.

Now, I don't know anything about inhalers, but I'm pretty sure using them twenty minutes as opposed to ten minutes before the game won't make much of a difference.

"Oh, he's so superstitious about this kind of shit. He wears the same socks, comes out last, and always says some stupid prayer right before kickoff," Lauryn explains while rolling her eyes at the ridiculousness of it.

After months of disagreeing with her, I can finally find some common ground with The Elite's most prestigious member.

"That's so weird," I laugh.

Just as I finish my sentence, the home team comes out in a blazing glory, completely showing up the competing team. The student section erupts with glee, standing up and clapping.

Someone shoots a confetti cannon, and the crowd dances underneath the colorful confetti raining down on them.

Even Lauryn gets up to dance, feeling the rush of school spirit warming up her icy heart even if it's only a few seconds.