|Chapter 18|

Betrayal is the only truth that sticks. -Arthur Miller

No words can describe the anxiety I've been feeling these past four days

Every hour I feel like sitting on my hands to the point of numbness in order to avoid anyone seeing the slight twitch of nervousness I'm developing.

Miz' Kaylee still hasn't texted me about what's going on with Peter, and I feel like I've hit a brick wall.

There's no more leads to investigate, no more secrets to use, no more evidence to gather. The future of my mission depends on a woman who can't even properly dye her hair or even iron out her uniform before work.

As I sit with The Elites, enduring another day of suffering, my mind wanders to the possibilities of what's wrong with the guy at the other side of the table.

Does he have cancer? Maybe Angie wants him to live his life to the fullest before he dies!

Does he rabies and is going mad? Maybe Angie fears for her safety and lets him do what he wants in fear of her survival.

Out of all the thoughts I'm having, nothing sticks out to being closely realistic. Thus, I turn my focus back to the table which is giving me frequent headaches.

It's only Tuesday, yet I feel like I need a break from them. There's constant drama, bickering, and tension. My head is on the verge of exploding from the center table's stupidity.

Things for Poppy are only getting worse. Her friendship with Lauryn is done for. Right now, they're putting on an act to not give the impression that The Elites have drama in their group. But I know the truth.

Every time Poppy speaks, Lauryn will interrupt her purposefully.

Apparently, Lauryn's sick of Poppy's "squealish pig voice."

Poppy looks down at her colorful phone screen. "Gosh, you guys! I forgot I'm going to the library again. Now, I'm totally late."

She begins packing up her things, but a devilish blonde gets in her way. "Are you tired of being an Elite, Poppy?"

Poppy's eyes are as wide as saucers when she turns to face Lauryn. Now, the whole table has gone silent. I rub my temples, expecting the incoming drama to give me another agonizing migraine.

"Are you kidding me? Absolutely not!" Poppy's voice is so high, almost as if she breathed in gallons of helium. She's nervous, and for good reason.

The glint in Lauryn's eye conveys her real intentions, pure chaos dwells beneath the surface of her bully persona. Everyone at the center table knows that Lauryn is more than just a typical high school mean girl.

She doesn't feel things the way the rest of us do. If I thought I was cold-hearted before coming here, Lauryn's heart is akin to the tundra in Antarctica.