|Chapter 19|

The world is being run by irresponsible spoiled brats. -P. J. O'Rourke

Maire and I stand by Peter's car patiently, waiting for him to come out from school

Maire and I stand by Peter's car patiently, waiting for him to come out from school. He'll be surprised to see us, no doubt, because I haven't had one genuine conversation with him since I joined The Elites.

I told Marie about what Angie said, and she was equally disgusted. So disgusted, in fact, that she agreed to help me blackmail him.

The truth of the matter is that he has an STD and is knowingly infecting Lauryn. I can't imagine them using a condom because the word safe isn't in Lauryn's vocabulary.

She just doesn't care about anyone, including herself. Not as if she hates herself, but her nihilism prevents her from thinking about the consequences of her recklessness because she truly doesn't care.

Finally, Peter walks outside with his football practice bag in hand. He slows down when he sees us, and takes smaller, more tentative steps towards his car.

"Hi Avia and friend..." Peter draws out each syllable awkwardly. "What's up?"

He turns his back towards Marie unintentionally, almost like he's been conditioned to ignore people deemed lesser than him.

I can't focus on his blatant disrespect towards Marie in a time like this. In this scenario, I must be calculated and cold. Every word that comes out of my mouth must be lethal.

"We're going to go on a little drive," I state with a smirk.

"Umm...why's that?" Peter asks as he digs through his pockets to find the keys.

I take a step forward, sizing him up even though he's several inches taller. "You don't want the school to know about your predicament, do you? I don't think that getting out would aid you in any way."

Peter isn't a typical dumb jock; he picks up at my subtle hint. Now, I can see him start to become nervous, and he quickly ushers the two of us into his expensive vehicle.

As he cruises down the road, his driving gets more and more erratic. His car becomes unstable, leaning into the lane beside us. The speed he's going at is astronomically over the limit, and my nails dig into his seat out of fear.

After what seems like ages, Peter rolls into his garage to park roughly. I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding, and Marie does the same.

Needless to say, I won't ever be carpooling with Peter again. He turns to face me, hatred glazing over his eyes.

"How do you know?" He spits out with vile.

It takes me longer than one second to respond, so Peter starts banging his hands on his steering wheel.

I sit there in silence, waiting for him to finish his childish tantrum. However, Peter's hands get red with the force of his punches.

Marie clears her throat. "No one else has to know about your...predicament."