|Chapter 24|

The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy. -Jim Rohn

 -Jim Rohn

Empty.

I am empty. I was a fool to think I had real strength inside me. That strength shattered the moment my mom told me that my entire life - hell, my entire existence - was a lie. My spirit broke, and I can't do anything about it.

That strength I had to confront and manipulate The Elites evaporated, leaving a shell of a person behind. I'm falling, and I can't move until I hit the ground savor the sweet pain.

At least pain is better than nothing.

Hitting rock bottom should be harder to achieve than it is. All it took was one simple lie to be revealed, and my life went to shit.

I haven't spoken to my mom in a week. A week since she broke me, tore me up, and spit out the leftovers. She hasn't called or texted, which I don't know if it is a good or bad thing.

I know that one call is all it would take for my spirit to give up and go running back to her. One call from her would truly break whatever power and control I still hold over myself.

I would go back to her. I would force myself to believe that John really is my father.

Because the flip side of that, reality, is killing me.

It's killing me faster than I thought was possible.

I haven't been to school in a week.

My days consist of laying in Marie's bed for hours, letting my mind wander to the deepest, darkest parts of me being brought to light. Marie tries to help, but there's nothing she can do.

I'm broken.

She and her parents try so hard to get a sliver of emotion out of me; it's like I can't feel anything anymore.

I can't feel the pain in my stomach, even though I know it's there. I have barely eaten at all this week. A few slices of apple, a bag of popcorn, and some water every day has kept me teetering on the edge of my body giving out.

The fight has left me. My brain and body are tired, even though I've been sleeping at least twelve hours every day.

I have to waste all my strength every day to get out of bed and use the toilet. After that, I have no strength for me to walk any further than back to bed.

Betrayal coats my bones, breaking them down piece by piece. Exhaustion glazes over my eyes, leaving me in darkness all day. Loneliness eats away at my heart when I realize I have no one left to love.

My mom is gone. My dad doesn't exist. Everything I have, the only thing keeping me going, is Marie.

I try to lift my head up to look at her, but the strain is too much for my neck. Not being able to move or open my eyes leaves me with one more place to go, and I retreat further inside myself.