|Chapter 21|

I believe the root of all evil is abuse of power. -Patricia Cornwell

Driving down the paved roads to Silver Valley High should be a normal thing, something I've down practically thousands of times, but not today

I don't know how I can face The Elites after knowing what their parents did to my father. Seeing Angie or Lauryn is usually stressful, but today, it's absolutely nauseating.

My stomach clenches just thinking about talking to one of them. Them, the people who ruined my chance at a normal family and a normal life.

Pressing my foot harder on the gas pedal, I zoom by a stop sign without a care.

My mom suggested that I should take off a few days from school in order to build my emotional walls back up, but I protested profusely. After hours of arguing, we settled on one day to rest.

One day felt like hours because of all the hateful thoughts soaring around my head. I didn't sleep or eat. The only thing I did was homework, and that was only for a welcomed distraction.

Marie didn't even talk to me yesterday, and I haven't received a text from her. I texted her good morning, but I haven't a response.

She may not use her phone 24/7 like most people our age, but it's always in her pocket. Marie never fails to respond more than an hour or two after I text her, so her absence has left me with even more anger building up inside.

Hopefully I'll see her today, but something inside of me knows she won't talk to me anyway. A person who abandons their closest friend...and lover for that matter, in their time of need is a horrible human being.

I shake my head roughly.

No, these thoughts aren't my own. They're too violent and hot-headed. I'm speaking from a place of sheer rage, and I realize that talking to Marie when I'm calmer would be better.

I can't afford to lash out at her when she's the only person who truly believes in me.

Heading into school after my day off revitalizes me. When I'm at Silver Valley, I feel a sense of purpose.

My life has meaning here. My father deserves revenge for what's been done to him.

Every day spent at Silver Valley High is worth it. I'm one step closer to destroying The Elites and getting the closure I need to feel content within myself.

Sure, there will always be that hole in my heart where my dad should've been there to fill.

Once The Elites are gone, I can work on self-improvement. Maybe, I could even see a therapist to help work on finding true happiness.

I've been empty for so, so long.

My mind is brought back to reality once I see Nick leaning against my locker. His hands are in his pockets, but he straightens up once he notices me coming closer.