|Chapter 15|

I have several times made a poor choice by avoiding a necessary confrontation. -John Cleese

Marie and I have some random TV channel on in the background and together, we're eating dinner

Marie and I have some random TV channel on in the background and together, we're eating dinner. Neither of us mention what we saw today because the image of Lauryn and Peter having sex is a sure-fire way to lose your appetite.

"Are you an only child?" I make conversation while stabbing my noodles with some chopsticks.

She shakes her head and continues scarfing down her platter of Chinese food.

"Get out! You totally screamed 'spoiled only child' to me!" I tease her, and she glares at me, playfully offended.

"My sister is 25 and never visits, so I practically am an only child since she moved out. I haven't seen her in years because she's across the country partying it up at country clubs with her stupid boyfriend." Marie rolls her eyes.

I run my fingers through the grooves of her polyester couch. "That sucks."

She gives me a small hmph and turns towards the TV to watch the reality show that's on. I'm absolutely at a lost to what's going on since it's smack-dab in the middle of the season, but I laugh at the funny parts nonetheless.

A commercial break comes on, and Marie turns toward me, her bowl empty.

"What are we going to do with the video?" She asks a question that's been in the back of my mind all night.

That's a great question because I have no clue. There's a million ways to use this dirt, but we need to figure out the option that will cut an Elite right in the jugular. It should be a quick slice in the neck, leaving them gasping for breath and drowning in their own blood.

Oh my god, I am an actual psychopath.

"Hmm...we could release it to the whole school. Like a mass text or something," I hypothesize, trying to weigh out the pros and cons.

"No, people cheat all the time. People will forget with time. We need to use it as leverage or blackmail to get something bigger and more useful to us. Maybe we can use it against Peter? Threaten to release it if he doesn't give us something juicy."

Marie talking so maniacally is foreign to me. I remember when she believed that karma would punish The Elites, now she's the one dealing out damage to these people.

Well, she's providing me ways to inflict harm.

I think over her plan for a while but decide against it. "Peter's a guy, Marie," I rationalize. "A guy cheating on his girlfriend only gets him more street cred. Now blackmailing Angie, that would hurt her reputation if the video got released."

Marie shoots me a small thumbs up, and I know what we're doing tomorrow. In that moment, her front door creeks open; her parent's come in carrying their briefcases and purses.