Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

_________________________

"Amelia! Can you go get the mail?"

"Yeah! I'm coming!"

I run outside my small house and run towards the wooden mailbox. I check what we got for mail and it's what I always expectーdebts, debts, debts, debts!

I sigh and walk back to my house with the letters in my hand knowing what my mom will say again.

"Let me guess," said my mom, "more debts?" I nod my head in agreement and lazily sat down on the couch.

"Have you've been working lately, mom?" I asked.

Let me just give you a quick little summary. We have to pay lots of debts, LOTS. Do you want to know why? Well, you see, my father gambles a lot which is the reason why he leftーbecause my mother disliked the idea of him always gambling instead of being with us. Ever since my dad left, he always left his debts to us for some unknown reason.

My mom always tried to pay for the debtsーbecause she still loves my dad even though that was the one thing thing she didn't like. It's actually pretty sad, to know that someone doesn't love you back.We can barely pay anything and my mom is working day and night just to help pay the remaining amount of debts.

"Um, sometimes. My boss hasn't been giving me  jobs to do lately."

I look up to see my mom. Her face is serious when she looked at the crumpled letter. Then, she wipes her face with her hand.

"Mom....." I said standing up. She turns around and looks at me with her eyes all red. That face really hurt me, and I hate always seeing that. It needs to end now. "I-I think I'm going to get a job."

My mom stares at me, she then drops the letter and snorted. "Honey, I can take care of this by myself, I'm the parent here."

"I know mom, but I'm old enough to get a job, I'm 17!" My mom picks up the letter and walks towards me. "Do you know how hard it is to work?" she asks, "you have to work day and night, without getting tired throughout the day. This is what I do for a living, and I don't want you to get tired."

"Mom please, I want to help you. Just this once, please?" I give her my puppy dog eyesーsomething she can never deny. But this was really serious, so it's possible that she'll say "no" because she doesn't want to worry about me while she's working.

She smiles and holds my face, "okay, I can never say no to those eyes." A small smiles spread across my face as I hugged her and she led me outside the door.

~~~

We both went to a friends house to ask for help. Renee is my mom's friend. I don't know how long they've been friends but they seem very close. Renee always suggest jobs to my mom whenever she needs it. "Hi Destiny! Hi Amelia! What can I do for you?"

We walk into her house, which is way bigger and prettier than ours. High ceilings everywhere, beautiful paints basically on every wall----she's filthy rich . "Actually, this is for Amelia," started my mom, "we're finding a job for her."

"That's amazing!" beamed Renee. She took us to her kitchen and made us sat down around this round blue table. "first things first, what do you like to do?"

I think about what I like doing, reading, playing instruments, drawing, and cleaning.

Cleaning.

Yeah, pretty lame but that's what I like to do.
"Well I like to clean." I said.

"Ooo! Is there a job for cleaning, Amelia really loves to clean." asked mom. Renne eyed me for a second, because we all know that wasn't the response we were expecting. "Cleaning?.....Are you sure? Most teenagers your age would rather work at a store, or a restaurant, something that's doesn't really have to do with cleaning......"