:: Chapter 34: Back home ::

Morning light seeped through the curtains, and soft whispers could be heard from the other room. Yawning and feeling exhausted, James automatically reached for his glasses, squinting. Someone's face was directly above him, so close that--

"MERLIN'S BEARD--THE HELL--?" James shouted impulsively, sitting bolt upright and knocking the person down to the floor. He seized his glasses and rammed them on, trying to find his assailant.

"Dad! You nearly gave me a heart attack," groaned a voice from the floor. "And knocked me down."

"Wait--" James broke off. He stared closely at the shape that was slowly getting up on his feet and said incredulously, "Harry?''

"Yes, Harry. Merlin, Dad, why did you have to knock me down?"

James smiled sheepishly, staring at his bemused looking son.

"Sorry about that, you startled me," said James. He then grinned, extending his arms widely. "Now where's my hug?"

Harry grinned back and bolted forward, tackling his James in a bone crushing hug, very nearly causing them both to fall off the edge of the bed. James was here, in the flesh. He wasn't dead again as Harry had feared. Harry had spent three nights without proper sleep, the thought that James might die again had haunted him greatly. It was a childish fear, though not irrational, but he couldn't help it. When it came to his Dad, well, he couldn't help but worry. And now, James was sitting upright, his trademark grin back on his face even though he was wan and pale. But he was alive, and that was what mattered the most.

James chuckled and messed up Harry's hair, causing the teenager to laugh as well.

"I'm sorry if I worried you, mate," said James sincerely.

"It was a really stupid thing to do," said Harry suddenly.

James blinked. "What was?"

"Going after Wormtail," stated Harry. James sighed.

"Couldn't help myself," responded James with an almost unnoticeable shrug. "He was just--there."

"And the worst part," continued Harry, "was that they wouldn't let me do anything! Sirius, Remus, Dumbledore, anyone! They wouldn't take me along no matter how much I asked them to! They--"

"They were absolutely right not to," interrupted James firmly. "You're not risking your life for me."

"You would have done the same for me," countered Harry immediately. James sighed again and placed a hand on Harry's shoulder.

"Harry," began James gently. Harry, sensing what was coming, crossed his arms across his chest and looked away.

"Look at me, mate," prodded James in that same, soft tone. Harry hesitantly raised head.

"I know you were worried, I know you felt helpless. Trust me, I know what it's like. But you have to understand something."

"What?"

"Harry, your life means more to me than my own, you got that?"

Harry averted his eyes.

"Sirius told me the exact same thing earlier."

"Sirius knows me well," said James. "It's true. I'm not going to have you risking your neck for me."

"But--"

"Listen," interrupted James. "I know you wanted to come with Sirius and Remus, I know you wanted to go on all those searches, but you have to realise how dangerous it is."