. Chapter 35: The vision

The immediate weeks after the abrupt departure of the Headmaster of Hogwarts passed by with the same, monotonous drone for James and Sirius. Dumbledore had always been there during times of crisis, a resolute man of power and wisdom, always just there. They could always blindly trust him and rely upon him. But now that he was gone, they were now a bit more vulnerable, no matter how much James hated to admit it. He would come back, of course. No one could keep Albus Dumbledore at bay for long. But when would he finally make his return?

The Ministry, now assured of Dumbledore's exit and happily deluded that it was permanent, had now appointed Dolores Umbridge as the new Headmistress of Hogwarts. Though already the wielder of more power than any teacher could ever dream to possess, she could now expand her command over every aspect of the school, and her tyranny over the students and staff was now slowly becoming intolerable, to top it all off for the already anxious students preparing for the upcoming OWL's.

Though the inhabitants of Number twelve, Grimmauld place were not confined there, what kept them sane were the owls that flew in bringing news, since the already rare fireplace conversations with Harry and the others were now nonexistent- the fireplace was always monitored. Time flew, and the OWLs had begun. They eagerly awaited news from Hogwarts--they learnt about how the exams were going on, about how the Weasley twins had pulled off a grand exit leaving behind puddles of green goo which couldn't be removed by Umbridge (though they were perfectly sure the teachers could vanish them in minutes had they wanted to).They learnt about how the DA didn't dare to meet now, and how Marietta had been Cho's close friend, ("There'll be better girls for you, Harry. You're my kid after all!").

Harry always had plenty of news to convey, and James and Sirius would all but rip the parchment from the owls in their haste to read it. That was the sad fact of what happens to two very restless men who had to sit down and wait for news.

***

For the students at Hogwarts, on the other hand, the OWL's had now finally come to an end. Though Harry and Ron were pretty sure that they had failed Divination and History of Magic, they felt as though they had done rather well at the others, Defence against the Dark arts particularly for Harry.

He was striding through the department of mysteries again, determined to reach his destination at last. . . He was in the circular room with its many doors . . .

He jogged the last few feet to the third door, and once again he was in cathedral-sized room full of shelves and glass spheres. . . His heart was beating very fast now. . .

Could he finally reach this time? Would all his curious questions be answered? He was going to get there this time. . . When he reached number ninety seven, he turned left and hurried along the aisle between two rows. . .

But what was that? There was a huddled shape on the floor, writhing like a wounded animal, with a black figure towering upon it. . . Harry's stomach contracted with fear. . . With anticipation . . .

"Take it for me. . I cannot touch it, but you can. . ."

The black shape on the floor shifted. Harry saw the long fingered white hand clutching a wand rise on the end of his own arm. . .heard a high voice say, "Crucio!"

The scream of pain let out by the man on the floor made Harry wince. But somehow, Harry was laughing. He raised his wand and the curse lifted, rendering the man motionless.

"Lord Voldemort is waiting. . ."

Very slowly, with his arms trembling, the man on the floor lifted his head. His face was bloodstained and gaunt, twisted on pain and yet, rigid with defiance.

"You'll have to kill me first," whispered Sirius.

Harry was torn between the desire to keep Voldemort from what he wanted, and also begging Sirius to just give it to him so that he wouldn't get tortured again.