1. release

June 1st.

The day Arthur has been waiting for since he got locked up.

986 days he's been waiting.

The day he is free.

He smiles as he slips his old clothes back on; the green jacket was his dad's and he's adored it since he was little. His dad gave it to him on his 15th birthday, a year before he was locked up. Why was he locked up? Well, that's a different story. The jeans he wore in that day are now too tight, probably because he was a scrawny 16 year old back then.

He hears the gate open and smirks. "See ya, officer Daniels. Tell the wife I said hi." He winks.

The older white gentleman rolld his eyes. "Stay out of trouble Cullen."

"Me?" Arthur fakes innocence, smirking as he shrugs. "I could never be in trouble."

The young boy heads out of the prison gates, smiling at the bright sun; it's a whole different world out here. He half expects for his father to leave him to fend for himself and I guess he's half right becuase it's his grandma Esme who leans on the shiny black Mercedes.

"Arthur Masen Cullen, look at you!" She pulls him against her small body and he wraps his skinny arms around her.

He inhales her scent for a moment. "Hey Ma." He whispers as she rubs his back.

"They starved you in there!"

He rolls his eyes and throws his bag in the back of the car. "I didn't exactly have a say in what I ate, when I ate or how much. Sorta lost that privilege when I broke the law."

She scowls. "Mm. Get in the car and we'll get a burger on the way home." Her golden eyes look over his body; while he's clearly worked out, she can tell he's malnourished for a boy his age.

"Sweet." He moans at the thought and climbs in.

As she drives, Arthur looks around the car. He then notices a kids toy in the back, a doll. "Who's is that...?"

"Your... your sisters." Esme says as she watches the road; she's going at least 120 in an 80 zone.

"What!?" Arthur growls as his eyebrows furrow in anger. Sister!?!

"Baby, a lot has changed since you left." Esme watches as she takes his hand.

Arthur breathes heavy in anger. "Are you serious!?"

"Your father met someone - a human. They've been married a year or so now, and your sister... well she's special. She's a hybrid."

"Oh wow how fascinating!" He snaps sarcastically. "You know what? Drop me at the nearest bus station and I'll be gone. Thanks but no thanks."

"Oh Arthur." Esme shakes her head as she sighs. "You took us all off your visitation list and you replied to a single letter I wrote only 2 weeks ago - we couldn't exactly tell you!"

"Oh like you would have anyway. Dad washed his hands of me, papa has no time for me anymore and the others? They never cared anyway." He snaps as he puts his dusty black converse on the dash. He glares out of the window as they drive somewhere.

Esme grips the wheel; she wonders what happened to the sweet boy she helped raise. "Arthur, we can discuss this as a family when we get home."

"Pfft family." He scoffs.