19. money money

(this chapter may jump a few times and be a bit short but it's sorta a filler!)

Holly nervously plays with her necklace as she walks up to the Cullen house alone, Arthur with her brother and his brothers again. She wanted to do this alone, to show she doesn't rely on him like maybe they think she does, but she's absolutely terrified.

"About what?"

Holly jumps and looks over at Edward, putting a hand on her chest. "Jesus." She mutters and exhales slowly. "Are we eaves dropping Cullen?"

"Yes, I was. Curious." He shrugs with a smile.

"Curiosity killed the cat." She says as she walks down the porch steps, over to where Edward leans on his car. "The money... It was you, wasn't it?"

Edward smiles and nods. "Yeah it was. They refused his compensation... So I made sure he got something. I was saving it for a rainy day."

"Its too much - we don't need it. He just wants to forget about everything that's happened, he doesn't want charity." She holds the cheque out.

Edward doesn't remove his hands from his pockets, not even looking at the cheque. "He won't take money from me if he knows it was from me. This way he gets something back from all the bad and I get to help my son out. It wasn't for you, its for him - he deserves the freedom."

"Too much freedom will overwhelm him." Holly glares. "Take the money back, Edward, this isn't what's best for him-"

"In the kindest way, Holly, no. This is between my son and I, and I kindly ask you don't tell him. You're a child, you don't see things the right way. How do you expect to pay for a wedding? How do you expect to pay for the house or the cars or the travel you wish to do? I see how you like the money related to this family, I see how you choose slightly more expensive clothing each time you shop. Don't pretend you aren't interested - you just want control. "

Holly stares Edward down, unintimidated by him. "Control... Hmm, just like everyone else in his life. I actually want your son to do well, Edward, an action you don't seem to show. If you think I'll back down then you're wrong. I'm here, I'm staying right beside him. Let's see who's there at the end shall we?" She says sternly, turning and walking away quickly, back to her car.

Edward watches, folding his arms over his chest; he's been watching her for a while now, the way she behaves, the way she moves. Things aren't adding up... She's not who she says she is. All he has to do? Prove it to his son. The same son who is besotted by that girl.

-

Holly opted to call Esme to invite her dress shopping, and so here they are; apparently inviting Esme meant inviting Rose, Alice and Bella, but she isn't bothered. As long as Edward stays away.

Speaking of Edward, he decides to keep a closer eye on his son, and so they set off on a fishing trip. Oh yes. A plain ordinary fishing trip, all human and boring.

"So when does this get 'fun'?" Arthur asks as he tugs his line.

Edward laughs, sat a few feet to the side of him. "Its meant to be fun now... How's everything going, anyway?" He says casually. "How's Holly?"

Arthur shrugs. "Were both good, I think she likes that I can finally get along with her brother and thusly his friends. She loves the res."

Edward wishes he could tell his son what happened, how he believes Holly to really be, but he can't. The look of love in his eyes... It'd break him. "I'm glad... She makes you happy huh."

Arthur smiles as he looks at the lake. "I mean... Yeah. First good thing in my life."

Edward smiles sadly and looks at his lap. "I'm glad you're happy. I just feel bad, I wasn't there for you enough."