6 . the past

"You know this isn't taking it easy." Edward muses as he watches his son do pull ups.

Arthur grunts as he pushes for another few, almost at his limit. "It - is when - you've - been stuck - in bed - for years." He grunts.

"You're more of a drama queen than Rosalie is, it's only been 8 days."

"Days, years, same thing." He laughs breathless as he hops down.

"Will you please try and get some rest? You look like shit."

"Oh wow thanks dad, charming." Arthur mutters. "No I don't need sleep-"

"I know you've been having bad dreams... I don't know why you call them bad, they're memories. Josie wouldn't want you to turn them into a taboo."

"Don't." Arthur glares at his father.

Edward sighs. "Last nights dream... That wasn't a good one, I admit. Rensmee will be home soon, she can help."

Arthur shakes his head. "I'm not relying on a child, I am fine."

In reality, they both know he isn't. His dream was the one time josie had ever managed to hurt him and it hurts him still...

Arthur taps his phone against his leg as he waits for Josie to call. She's been out with that boy again - Vince or something - and she's been avoiding him. Maybe because Arthur thinks he's a bad influence.

His phone buzzes and he instantly checks it. I'm home. It simply says and Arthur sighs, climbing out of his bedroom window and walking across the top of the garage to Josie's window. He taps it twice and she slides it open a moment later.

"Not tonight, Art." She says stiffly.

"But you text..." He says confused. "Cmon we always chat. Every night."

"I text you out if courtesy, just to let you know I was home. Stop being a needy little shit and get some other friends!" she snaps.

Arthur frowns and looks down for a moment. "I know you don't mean that."

"I do. It's like Vince says, you're obsessed. What, too afraid to ask me out so you keep me as a best friend? You're a freak. Your entire family is, go away Arthur. Leave me the heck alone."

Arthur slowlt walks away, standing at the edge of the garage for a moment. "Come find me when you're not high on whatever the fuck he fed you this time." He whispers and climbs into his window, locking it and closing the curtains before locking his bedroom door. He slips into a cloud of emotions, the one person who he thought understood him apparently not anymore.

That was the start of their downfall. They just didn't know it yet.

Arthur stares at his father. "It's whatever. Are you gonna stand there and criticise me as usual or can I go back to what I want to do?"

"Watch your cheek." Edward rolls his eyes, annoyed. "I'm just trying to look out for you-"

"I think we both know we've passed that point." Arthur glares coldly.

Edward winces as his son forces him to see the moments he was harmed while in prison. "Stop, I can't bare to see it!" he snaps.

Arthur laughs coldly. "Yeah!? How about living with it!" He yells. "You always promised me you'd protect me and look what happened!"

"You can't blame me for tha-"

"I bloody well can!"

"- because you're the one who shut me out!" Edward finishes with a glare.