10. brother knows best

Holly watches Arthur work out; she's sat by the river with him as he does his usual stuff, without Seth today due to pack business. Its the only reason she was able to come here today - Paul won't be around. This whole situation is truly beginning to frustrate her - it already has Arthur, she can tell - because she's 18.

Arthur is almost her age exactly. He's a kind gentleman. He's been nothing but kind to her. Of course he has a record, a past, but doesn't everyone? Holly can't help but think that if Paul hadn't gotten into the pack when he did, he could be in and out of prison. Arthur knows what he did - she still doesn't, know one truly does - and he's paid the price for it, he is still paying the price for it. Hes constantly watched, drug tested, questioned. There's no space for him. Even his family don't respect his freedom.

Carlisle for example; she gets it, he's trying to help his grandson. But forcing pills he doesn't want? Not a great move, smarty pants, she always thinks. If they took the time to focus on him, they'd see Arthur can do pretty amazingly on his own. He does all the right things; he surrounds himself with positivity, he exercises, he talks (partly) to someone he trusts - her. He trusts her. And she trusts him.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Arthur grunts as he pushes himself to sit up, on his 50th stomach crunch. Break time, he thinks.

Holly looks at him, tilting her head. "Hmm?"

"You've got your thinking face one." He smirks.

"Thinking face?" She raises an eyebrow.

He laughs and crawls over to be closer to her, placing himself right beside her. "Yeah, you get this little frown line between your eyes when you think really card. And you sort of pout, but suck your cheeks in at the same time to chew on them." He traces the line between her eyebrows.

She blushes deeply and shrugs small; she catches sight of the big pink scar across his arm, grabbing it and running her fingers over it. "What did you do?" She asks, frowning more.

Arthur snatches his arm away quickly and sits back. "It's nothing."

"Arthur..." she frowns and reaches for it again.

He holds his arm behind his back and stares at the grass. "I said it's nothing!" he snaps a little.

Holly stares at him. "Don't you ever snap at me again, Arthur Masen Cullen." She says sternly. "I'm just asking a question, I'm curious and a bit worried."

He huffs, feeling like a told off child. "It's a mistake, that's what it is. It doesn't matter, I don't want to think about it." He mutters, looking away, towards the trees.

"Did you..." She begins to asks, but Arthur nods so she doesn't have to say it. He can sense how uncomfortable she is. "Oh..." she whispers.

He sighs heavily and looks at her. "Judge me, go on. Put me on suicide watch like they all have. I can't even take a shit without someone being right outside my bedroom door."

"I won't ever judge you." Holly touches his cheek gently and he hesitates for a moment before leaning into her hand. "I only care. And I certainly wouldn't watch you like a hawk, I don't think you'll be doing it again, I bet it hurt. And I know how personal your shit time is so I'd never intrude."

They both laugh and Arthur looks at her, holding her hand to his cheek. "You're truly one of a kind, eh."

"I know." She smiles, scrunching her nose up as he kisses it. "That's why you like me."

He smiles; maybe even love. "How ab-"

"What the HECK is going on!?"

Arthur quickly pulls away from Holly, both looking behind him with wide eyes. Oh no... Paul stands shaking, his eyes wide and his nostrils flaring with rage. The entire pack stands frozen behind him, gauging his reaction.