27. times up

Lucy and Arthur sit parked at the start of the trail to the cliff, both silent as they hesitate whether to get out or not. Arthur knew where his father meant to meet as soon as he said the res, because this is where they came a lot to have fires and stuff with the wolves years ago.

Lucy finally speaks. "We should... Go."

"Yeah..." Arthur says, but neither make a move to get out.

Lucy looks over at him. "This is it..."

Arthur squeezes her hand. "With my family yes. But not with others. Okay?"

Lucy nods and they both lean in, kissing gently before they finally get out. Arthur takes her hand again and they walk up the dark trail, not too far, to the cliffs edge. They can smell the fire right when they left the car, but now it comes into view as they walk closer, taking their time.

Renesmee stands and slowly walks over, eventually running at her brother. He catches her in a one armed hug not letting Lucy go. "Hey kid."

"Hi." Ness whispers, tears already in her eyes. "I missed you..." She says gently.

"I missed you too. Who's here?" He asks quietly.

Renesmee gives Lucy a gentle hug before she answers. "Everyone, Jake and his pack, Sam and his half... Even Paul."

Arthur's eyebrows shoot up. "Oh... That's surprising."

"Who's Paul?" Lucy asks gently.

"He's... Holly's brother." Arthur says, noticing his wife tense. "I didn't know he was back in the pack."

"Recent occurance." Ness nods.

They begin to walk again, Lucy staying close to Arthur; she spots Sadie by Seth, her old best friend looking so different these days. But she looks different too, she figures, it has been years since they saw one another.

Edward stands from the log he sits on as Arthur nears. "You came."

"Course." He smiles small.

Both hesitate before hugging; both close their eyes as they embrace, savouring the moment. Esme hugs Lucy gently and they all quietly greet before settling, Arthur sitting with Lucy between his legs, his arms around her.

Paul looks over. "I'm glad you're okay.."

Arthur smiles sourly. "No thanks to you. And okay is a bit far fetched right now, don't you think?"

"Okay okay, you two can have it out later." Esme scolds. "We have more important things at hand."

"Oh you mean Betty and her little friends?" Arthur says, laughing a bit as Lucy smacks his leg.

"Trust you to name your brain tumour." Seth mutters. "Why Betty?"

"Coz the doc called it an ugly little tumour and I thought of Ugly Betty." Lucy laughs as she remembers.

Seth laughs too. "Alright alright, credit where credit is due."

"Stop!" Alice bursts. "How-how cna you joke about something like this!?"

Edward speaks up, agreeing with her but also getting it. "Because what else is there to do? It's horrible sure but that's how our Arthur has always coped."

"It's so wrong." She snaps shaking her head. "Can we get to the point?"

Arthur sighs. "Sure, if I'm gonna like the point."

"Decide for yourself." Carlisle says before he sighs. "I'll change you - and you only. I won't let anyone else risk it. Esme is too emotional, Rose has never tasted blood. Emmett is too careless. We all know how Jasper is with blood, Alice too. Your father barely managed Bella and he has too much at stake here. I'll do it. "