20. for you

Holly shakes as the police fill the living room in the Cullen house, Paul beside her. Edward is yelling at Charlie. "I don't care if it hasn't been 24 hours, he's missing Charlie! My boy isn't like this!"

"Edward, I know but I can't legally start a search until its been 24 hours or more. For now we'll keep an eye out. Let us know if he contact you." he pats Edwards arm and smiles sadly at Holly as they leave.

Esme begs Holly. "Please, tell us again why he ran..."

"W-we were arguing." She whispers. "I can't even remember what about now... And he just left on his bike, not a word. This was at about 10 last night. He wasn't home by 9 when I woke. And he hasn't called. Its been 18 hours and he's not been heard from.." she cries.

Esme looks at Carlisle worried. "We should go out."

"We'll all go, teams of two." He says softly. "Rose, check the house-"

"Already done." Paul says. "Plus Holly needs rest, I'm taking her back there."

Edward glares at Holly and she shies away, trying to keep her mind busy with the story Paul told her. That he left and she doesn't know where he is. That's exactly what happened. Paul pulls her out of the house, rushing her home before anyone can say anything else.

Edward punches his hand through the wall, yelling in anger. "I don't understand!!"

"Why would he run?" Esme asks in a small voice. "He was so.. So happy last time I saw him."

"Things like this happen..." Carlisle sighs; he's seen it a lot. "People aren't always as happy as they seem - sometimes they feel like there's no way out."

"His mind wasn't like that. He was happy. He was day dreaming as always and he was smiling and laughing and there wasn't a hint of anything wrong!" Edward snaps. "So don't even suggest he's done something... Or that he's left us."

Carlisle holds his hands up in surrender, he doesn't want to argue anymore with his son - not after the last few months of arguing. Renesmee looks over as Jacob enters the house, running to him. He picks her up, Edwards head snapping round with wide eyes.

"Where!" he demands.

Jacob verbalise his thoughts for the others whom all look confused. "I found his trail but its dirty, in the sense it isn't just his scent. It was by the cliffs, then along the beach, but then it went back into town. I followed it several different ways but it just doesnt make sense."

Edward disappears in an instant to find the scent, Emmett and Jasper nodding once before following their brother. Jacob kisses Nessie's cheek and heads out after them. This will be a team effort.

-

Holly scrubs the floor with bleach again, adamant she smells the blood, sees it. Paul sighs as he comes back in. "Hols... It isn't there."

"i-I see it. Every where!" she cries, looking at her hands covered in the yellow rubber gloves. She hangs her head. "I... I need to hand myself in."

"No you don't." He snaps. "Get a grip, Holly. You did this, and you made me help. This isn't just about you anymore. Suck it up - you wouldn't last in prison."

"He didn't deserve this." She sobs. He certainly didn't and she has never done anything like this before, so why did she? What even possessed her to hurt the one she loves?

Paul scoffs. "No, he didn't. But you're gonna live with this for the rest of your life - I cannot go to prison, it will expose the pack."

Holly glares at her brother. "You're selfish!!!"