24. crazy stupid love

Arthur sighs in defeat and sits down on a lounger. "And moron of the year goes to... Dad!" He smiles sarcastically.

Lucy stares with wide eyes, looking between Arthur and the sparkling men. "What... The.... Fuck!"

"Lucy, this is my dad, Edward. This is also my grandpa Carlisle." Arthur lays back with a sigh.

Lucy stutters. "He-he's like your age!!! And he's not much older!"

Carlisle sighs, speaking softly to his son. "Edward, I told you this needed to be handled better... Lucy, right?" he steps closer as he addresses her, only she steps back. "I'm sorry... I'm Carlisle Cullen, I'm Arthur's adoptive grandfather. This is my son, Edward."

Lucy shakes her head, looking to Arthur for answers only he's breaking at the seams in defeat. "Arthur..."

Arthur looks at her, all fight gone. All will to live diminished. She's definitely leaving after this. "Edward was born in the 1900s and was 17 years old when pa turned him... Into a vampire. Pa was turned in the 1660s. I'd give you the whole 'they're different they're veggie they won't kill you' shpiel but you're gonna run no matter what."

Edward sighs. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry I burst in, Lucy, I haven't seen my son in about a year and the last time I did he was almost dead. It was careless of me - you really don't need to be afr- she fainted." He sighs.

Renesmee catches her before she can hit the floor, Arthur leaping over. He picks her up and rushes her inside, by the air con vent. "Look what you did!"

"Oh I knew she'd faint." Ness smirks.

Arthur glares. "What do you want. All of you."

"I want my son back." Edward says, crossing his arms.

Arthur laughs. "There it is again - the control thing. You want, you get. Your whole life has been that."

"My life has been far from eas-"

"You wanted Bella, you got her. You wanted Renesmee, you got her. You wanted to beat the volturi, you did that. You wanted control of my life, you HAD that. What is so hard for you to understand that I am 20 years old, I am capable of looking after myself?" He snaps.

"Maybe the fact you pretty much confessed to a murder you didn't do just because your friend asked you to?" Renesmee asks, her legs swinging as she sits on the kitchen counter across the big room.

Carlisle sighs. "Arthur, son, we know you can look after yourself. We just worry, worry about where your head is at. The last few years haven't been easy then your fiance went and tried to kill you and you just... Left. We didn't know what frame of mind you were in." He frowns gently, leant on a wall.

Arthur laughs. "Predicted that one... You wanna know where my head is at?" He asks. "I have never seen things so clearly. I have never been so happy or-or free, or capable to make my own choices! I've never been more excited for the future."

"You got married to a girl you hate after a day!" Edward yells.

"And it was the best decision I ever made! You and Bella basically cemented yourselves into each others lives after days. James attacked like 2 weeks after you got together." Arthur snaps. "Hypocrite."

Carlisle smirks a little - he likes Arthur growing a back bone. "Look... We cna see you're okay now and we can go - don't interrupt me. I'm as much his father as you." Carlisle raises a hand to Edward. "Do you need help with Lucy? Explaining any of this?" He asks his grandson.

Arthur shakes his head. "No thanks. I want to be alone with her."

Carlisle nods. "Of course. We're going to be in the area for a day or so, so if you need anything or if you'd like to talk before we go then call okay?" he smiles gently. This next thing will hurt, and make his son mad, but it has to be done. "We won't bother you anymore, Arthur. Spread your wings."

Arthur's whole body seems to drop as he hears this, but before he can react they're all gone. All 3 disappear in seconds, just like that... And he doesn't know how to feel. For so long he's sort of enjoyed the chase, annoying them and running, but now that isn't going to happen. He really is alone in this big bad world...

"Arthur?" a groggy voice has.

He exhales slowly and sinks to the floor by the couch. "They're gone... For good." He whispers, swallowing hard.

Lucy slowly sits up and puts her head in her hands. "They were..."

"Yeah."

"And you..?"

"No. I never want to be." He smiles small.

She exhales slowly. "You have so much fucking explain to do."

-

Lucy strokes Arthur's hair back as they sit by the fire pit that evening; she's still digesting what she's found out. Her father-in-law is a vampire. Her sister-in-law a hybrid. Woah. No wonder Arthur has always been a bit fucked up.

"What're you thinking about?" She asks gently as she twirls a piece of his hair.

He sips his beer staring into the fire. "I don't really know... I'm just--I'm tryna digest this. They're gone. They're gonna leave me alone."

"Isnt that what you wanted?" She asks frowning.

He sighs. "I guess so. I just always thought I could make them see, make them accept. I know they'll always be there for me but the chase was sort of all we had. Plus I liked pissing them off."

She giggles. "Charming. Doesn't it make you a little excited, though? You don't have to run. We don't have to keep going, we can enjoy these places for longer."

He smiles small and nods. "Yeah, that's true. We can't stay here, though, there's some people-"

"That fued? Are they vampires too?" She asks.

He smirks. "Yeah... Trust my family to piss off the royalty of their kind. Aro knew the moment I set foot on this soil, he paid a visit the other night."

Her jaw drops. "Here? There was a vampire in this house while I was asleep!?"

He laughs. "Yeah, honey, there were 3 just a few hours ago."

"Have I... Ever walked past one?" She asks curiously.

"Most likely. The numbers of vampires to humans isn't even close, but many try to blend in. Helps with hunting." He explains.

Lucy shudders, so Arthur changes the subject. "Seth is a werewolf."

Her jaw drops again. "WHAT!?"

He laughs more. "Yep. His tribe have this mutant gene that is like switched on when vamps near. When my family moved close, it trigger like 12 of the boys to turn. The most they've ever had. Oh, your friend Sadie? She's probably known all of this for months."

Lucy gasps. "Bitch, she never told me. Why did she get to know!?"

"She's Seths imprint - mate, basically. They just like fancy words."

"This is... Crazy. This means that-that so many things could be real!" she says excitedly. "Fairies, witches and wizards, oh ALIENS!"

He laughs. "Yeah, I met one of those. Married her too."

She smacks his arm playfully. "You jerk."

He smiles and raises his beer. "Here's to us. And our freedom."

"I love you."

"I love you more."

Short update, sorry! But I couldn't skip to what I wanted as that would've left so much unanswered. There are likely only a few chapters left of this book so be prepared. Check out some of my other works. All twilight but one, which is a Ben Bruce fanfic. Enjoy!