Part 1 - May 3rd

I walked into the hotel, gasping. 

How was it so beautiful?

To my right was the grand staircase, my left the large restaurant. I looked up and my eyes widened. Even if it was just Los Angeles, the ceiling looked like it was from somewhere in a fairytale. The high ceiling was draped with blue silks, hanging from tiny hooks, a painting of fluffy, white clouds atop them.

"How did you guys manage to afford this?" I asked.

My stepfather chuckled. "Emili, I told you, the office payed for almost all of it."

"When?" I asked, proving how much attention I paid him. 

My mother smiled. "Atticus, did you go to the concierge yet? We should go up to the room and rest up."

I looked over at my stepdad who nodded at my mother and walked over to the concierge. I glanced at the stuff that we had brought. Three suitcases and three carry on bags.

Yikes.

Within a couple of minutes of silence, Atticus was back with two room keys.

"Twenty-ninth floor," he said to me, smiling. "We'll get a good view."

I sent him a forced smile and grabbed my suitcase, heading toward the elevator, my mom and him behind. I entered, and after about thirty seconds, we reached the twenty-ninth floor. The carpet was a velvety purple and the walls a crisp white.

"2932," Atticus said from my side. "2933, 2934, here it is."

We stopped outside of room 2935 and waited for Atticus to open the door. The three of us entered and set down our luggage. 

We settled down on our beds. I took my shoes off, flopped on my bed, and began scrolling through Pinterest. 

"Em, you have to sleep," my mom said, looking up from her phone. "You didn't sleep in the plane."

"Sure, " I replied.  "I'll sleep." 

Let's be real. 

I'll sleep anytime, any day. 

I crawled into my bed across from the double bed my mom and Atticus were sharing and sighed. Los Angeles seemed nice, but I already missed New York City. I began to daydream about the tall buildings, loud sounds, and the feeling of NYC. Before I knew it, instead of daydreaming, I was really  dreaming. 

I guess it wasn't hard to fall asleep when you were homesick. 

For me, at least.