Chapter 4

I walked down the silent hallway, the lights illuminating the path.Reaching the main hall I saw Uncle Yousuf sitting on the plush cream sofa, a file in his hand.His other hand pressed against his forehead.Walking towards the father like figure I asked,

"Uncle Yousuf, its late now what are you working on ? and is your head paining ?"

He looked up to me a smile settling on his face.

"It's an important file your Baba gave it to me.And yes an having a severe headache now. "He said.

Standing up I took the file from his hands and switched off his laptop that was placed on the table.

"Uncle you should rest you might get a fever.Go to your room and I will bring medicine for you."

Standing up he stroked his hand on my head lovingly like a father would do.And then he was gone.Making my way to the kitchen, I opened the refrigerator pulling out the milk carton.Warming the milk in a pan I filled the cup with it.Placing the cup in a tray I found some painkillers.Making my way to their room I saw Uncle already in bed whilst Aunty Meena was combing her dark brown hair.Upon seeing me she smiled and said 'come in'.

Getting besides uncle I placed the tray on the side table.

"Here you go Uncle."

Aunty Meena had braided her hair as she now sat on the sofa adjacent to Uncle's side.I was about to leave when uncle said,

"Shahwar, you have always been a daughter to us.With you being around we never felt the need of a daughter.The way you take care of us, I am glad my son is very lucky to have a future with you."

On the mention of Salah my cheeks flamed a little, making me look down at my hands.Aunty Meena spoke,

"Yes, that's why I can't wait to make her my daughter in law."

Uncle chuckled and now my face would have turned red ten times than before.Saying 'Goodnight' to them I left from there.Making my way to the garden I saw Zarah lying on the Charpoy bed.

Striding towards her I nudge her, seeing me she makes some room for me on the bed.Lying down besides her I look up at the open sky.Stars illuminating like tiny sparkles decorating a dark cloth.Zarah sighed making me turn towards her.

"Zarah, what are you thinking."

Turning her face she said,

"I am bored out of my mind.I just want to graduate very fast like you.I an still in college and I have a long way ahead.Look at you you're already free from studies."

A laugh escaped my lips hearing her.Me and Zarah talked another two hours under the blanket of stars.But then I pulled her inside the mansion so we get sleep.

***
After breakfast Ahya sat with a paper pencil making a list of dishes to be made because along with Salah Aunty Meena's brother and his wife were also coming with their two children.

Excitement was bubbling inside of me and my heart was flipping.I placed my head in Daadi Ma's lap as her frail hand stroked my head.

It was a routine, Daadi Ma would occasionally stroke my head and kiss my head.She would say 'you are my granddaughter and in future you would be Salah's wife.So till he is not back the love I have for him would be transfered to you.' No doubt Salah was everyone's favourite.

Mama's voice called me from the kitchen breaking my revive as I made my way to her.

"Shahwar beta, cut the vegetables and make Salad.The men are just about to come home for lunch. "
***
The day passed by a blur. I pulled Ahya's hand once more tucking her in my room.Various dress decorated my bed and the room was a mess.

Ahya laughed,
"I cannot believe the excitement wavering off from you."

I pouted.Making some space on the bed she sat and looked up to me.With expectant eyes I asked,

"Which one should I wear?"

She hummed looking around the bed.Taking different hangers in my hands I showed her all the most beautiful dresses I had.After an hour or so we had finally decided on a cream dress.Ahya then helped to clean the mess.Just as we sat down again and sighed in relief I door burst open and Imraan walked in.

Raising his eyebrows at me he smirked.

"Someone is soon getting married.I can hear the wedding bells."

Throwing a pillow at his face I glared at him.He sat besides his wife taking Ahya's hand in his.She looked away not meeting his eyes and a small smile on her face.I then said,

"Dear brother of mine, what are you doing in my room because you are totally unwanted."

His face somewhat turned serious as his green eyes narrowed at me.As if realizing something, he pulled Ahya with him,

"I totally forgot.I came to find my wife, and why is she always with you.She is my wife not yours."

I laughed hearing him as Ahya lightly hit his muscular arm.Pulling her out of my room they left without saying goodnight.

Switching off the lights I lay in bed.After a lot of twisting and turning I was still unable to sleep.And I new it was the last night of waiting so it was gonna be a long night...

***
The black eyeliner made my light brown eyes more prominent as the mascara coated my long lashes.My light brown hair were curled.Staring at the girl in the mirror I found her clad in a cream shirt with pearls on the sleeves and light embroidery with matching trousers.Matching earring  supported her ears.

It was finally the day.The day I meet Salah Yousuf Khan.Descending the stairs I made my way around the mansion only to find it empty.Low voices filled my ears as I made my way to the porch only to find everyone there.

Standing besides Ahya I nudged her. And she smiled at me.

"There coming."She whispered lowly. Everyone was dressed in their best outfits.Because it was a big day.

The white car pulled in the driveway and my stomach churned and my heart beats accelerated.Knowingly I hid behind the large pillar besides me.The car doors opened and I heard Aunty Meena greet her Sister In Law , Firdous and Brother Aziz.Now everyone was greeting and hugging peeking from the other side of the pillar I saw Uncle Yousuf lean against the car.His expression showed he was angry.Baba might have noticed what I noticed because he said,

"Yousuf, what is it? and where is Salah."

Aunty Firdous was the one to speak,
"He cancelled his flight.He had some issues with his apartment complex.Didn't he tell you ?"

Hearing her my eyes became moist.Mama and aunty Meena gasped lowly showing their sadness.Ahya turned to me and clutched my hand assuring me.

I stepped towards the chubby short woman.She had hazel eyes and brown hair.Saying my Salaam to Aunty Firdous she replied hugging me.Uncle Aziz was a man of rather medium height.Having features similar to Aunty Meena.Their two daughters were younger than Zarah.And were very cute.

Everyone moved inside the mansion as I stood there leaning against the pillar.Thinking unintentionally Salah had just broken my heart a little..

***
Hey sweeties how is the chapter... Its a big one.. Comment, Vote And Follow.. Do let me know about and the chapter..
Any guesses why Salah didn't come other than his apartment complex issues..
Until next time..
_Hafsa