Chapter 6

My fingers outlined the various books on the shelf till I found my favourite one "The Fault In Our Stars".Taking seat on the couch in my room, I tucked my feet underneath me.Opening the book I started from chapter One.

I was half way through chapter three when a knock sounded on the door breaking the comfortable silence of the room.Talia peeked her head inside, smiling at me.Standing up from my place I motioned her whispering,

"Come in."

She elegantly walked towards the bed sitting on the edge.I sat besides her.She wore her pajamas and her hair were in a messy bun.Her face void of any makeup.I intertwined my fingers together waiting for her to speak.

"You have a nice room." She said looking around.

I smiled in return.She looked at me and then said,

"So you and Salah are cousins."

Nodding at her I returned my head to the book in my lap.Maybe Talia observed it because she said,

"Oh.Its my favourite book.I just love it."

Not wanting to be rude I agreed with her.She was Salah's friend and he had brought her home.She was our guest now.And there wasn't any harm in loosening up a bit.My subconsciousness remarked.

"Yeah its a great book."This time I smiled and daring I asked her.

"Tell me about yourself."

"Okay"She said before she signed.Turning towards me she sat crossed leg on the bed and I copied her actions as she started,

"My parents got divorced when I was fifteen.So now I am only in contact with my father.I was in high school when I first met Salah and through the passing year we became good friends.After college we both started work in the same firm so we are colleagues now.Salah has always been my only friend.Although I live in California,I would love to move to Paris.Its always been my dream and my mum's. "

She whispered the last part her eyes moving up to my face.Placing my hand on hers I squeezed it gently.Shaking her head she continued,

"I've no regrets because I was never close to her.She wanted to live freely and we freed her.Although my father loved her but still she couldn't stay."

She laughed bitterly and then said,

"Salah asked me if I would go to his home.I was first not sure but now I am so happy that I agreed at that time.Although my late decision caused him to cancel his flight."

She smiled brightly as if living those moments again.But her words had struck me hard.Squeezing my heart and breaking another piece of it.Salah had lied to his parents and to Aunty Firdous too.I was shocked but I didn't show it.And Talia again spoke gaining my attention.

"Coming here shows me a different phase of life.A new side maybe.I've never been loved so much like I've been here.Aunty Neelum, your mom wouldn't stop filling my plate with food and Daadi Ma, Aunty Naheed.Everyone is so caring here.I've never had anyone in my life this caring and loving.And I've had had so many people in my dinner table.It was just always me. "

Her voice lowered.Her expression saddened.I felt really bad.Placing a hand on her shoulder I said,

"You don't have to be sad.We're always there for you and my Mom is also your Mom.As long as you stay here you will be showered with love from all of us."

Talia nodded and took my hand in hers.

"Shahwar, your family is really an ideal one.Your so lucky."

"ALHAMDULILLAH" I muttered under my breath.

"So tell me about Salah and you.You two are expected to get married."Her eyes lit up and I smiled shyly.
Another hour passed as I told her my story.We yawned together and laughed too.