Reasonable and Sane

Scarlett's POV

Jeremiah practically dragged me to this underground part of a building in Gotham with the rest of his followers, but once we reached the bottom step a familiar voice filled my ears.

"Not one step closer," I looked up to see Penguin and Barbara and everyone surrounded by one of Jeremiahs men with the core relay in his hands and a grenade strapped to him.

"Huh. It seems you have the upper hand," Jeremiah stated as he let go of me and took off his hat. I met eyes with Barbara and I could see the concerned look on her face. I basically went missing from our group awhile ago, not intentionally of course, it's just the Valeska twins can't get enough of me.

Oh, you know what I mean.

"Hi Barbs!" I yelled over with a big smile and waving at her. Barbara smiled as she tried not to laugh and waved back. Meanwhile, J looked over at me like I was crazy. Ironic, right? I shrugged at him.

"It was a serious vibe, babe. Harshing my juju," I stated and he shook his head before turning back to penguin.

"Undoubtedly," Penguin agreed, referring to their conversation. "And now, we have our own demands"

Jeremiah pulled up a chair and heard them out.

"Can I go play over there, J. They look more fun," I pouted and he just shook his head and continued to ignore me.

"50 million dollars, thats what you want?"

"It's a nice round number"

"I don't quite have that on me right now"

"You gave the mayor six hours to evacuate Gotham. An impossible task. Let him buy another hour. He will save thousands of lives and 50 million will seem cheap"

"I see. We play the villain and you get away scotch free and rich. I get you the money, you give me back my core relay"

"Stop saying 'We'. Scarlett is not on your team," Barbara snapped and looked at me. "We want Scarlett back too"

"You drive a hard bargain, but I'll see what I can do. As for Scarlett," he paused and looked me over. "I suppose she can have a little vacation"

Barbara motioned for me to come over there and I hesitated before going over to stand by Barbaras' side.

"Just like that? After knowing your brother I expected something more-"

"Insane? Of I'm nothing if not sane and reasonable. Two things my brother never valued. Thats why I'll be successful where he failed. Well, that and being vastly more intelligent"

Jeremiah stepped to the back of the room while on the phone.

"I'm glad you're alright," Barbara said to me and rubbed my shoulder. I smiled back at her.

"Would you believe it! They put me on hold," Jeremiah stated in annoyance. "Oh well, theres always plan number two" He lifted up a bazooka and launched it at the core relay. We all got down and once the dust started to clear we got up and Penguin was furious.

"Are you out of your mind?!" He yelled.

"Well, duh," I mumbled but everyone ignored me. No one respects a comedian around here, shame.

"Why do you keep insisting I'm insane? What's insane about having a backup plan? And, so you know. This building is within the blast radius and because of your interference I'm going to detonate the bombs as soon as I'm far enough away to observe the destruction in peace"

"No! You promised this city six hours!" I yelled at him.

"And whose fault was it that I changed my mind?" He looked at Barbara. "Scarlett? Your choice. Stay or face the consequences?"

"You must go. The girls and I will come after you. We'll get you back," Barbara whispered in my ear. I looked at her and hesitated before nodding. I let go of her hand and walked back over to Jeremiah. We headed out the door with his hand rested on my back when he stopped and ordered his followers.

"Kill these idiots"

"What? No!" I yelled and tried to protest but Jeremiah put a gun to my back as he pushed me up the stairs. Once we were in a safe place he put the gun to my stomach and stared me down.

"I'm not scared of this, Jer. You couldn't even if you tried"

"Is that so?"

"Yes. I'm certain"

He thought for a moment. "You're right"

I let out a breathe of relief before he smirked and hit me over the head with the gun.

Everything went black.

-------------