Ch.23 Instincts

The next morning Marinette's thoughts were still being haunted by the previous night. She was so confused, and something told her that Tikki knew the answers, but that she wouldn't tell her. This was something she needed to figure out on her own. She sighed and went to school. This was a mystery she needed to solve later. Right now she had school. When she arrived She was surprised to note that Alya wasn't there, and neither was Nino. She then saw Adrien. Maybe he knew where she could find Alya. 

"Uh, Hey Adrien," She said. 

"Oh, hey Marinette!" Adrien said. 

"Have you see Alya?" She asked. 

"No, I haven't. I was actually looking for Nino, but both seem to not be here," Adrien said. 

That was strange. Alya was always here before she arrived. Where was she now? Marinette decided to try calling Alya. After a couple of rings, Alya picked up. 

"Hello?" Alya asked.

"Hey Alya, it's me, Marinette. Why aren't you at school?" She asked. 

"Oh, I caught a pretty bad cold from my siblings, so can you tell Ms Bustier I won't be in school?" She asked. 

"Sure thing, did you give it to Nino as well?" Marinette asked.

"Yeah, he insisted to stay and help me babysit my sisters and so he caught it too," Alya said. 

"Okay, I'll tell Ms Bustier, get some rest Alya, I hope you get better," Marinette said. 

"Thanks, girl, " she said. 

"Alright, I have to go, bye Alya," Marinette said. 

"Bye Marinette," She said. 

Adrien was standing behind her, waiting for her to finish the phone call. Cat Noir flashed in her head. 

"Nino and Alya caught a nasty cold and are staying home today," Marinette told Adrien.

"Oh, that's unfortunate, I hope they get better," Adrien said. 

"Yeah, me too," Marinette said. 

So, Do you want to sit next to each other like yesterday, since both of them are absent," Adrien suggested.

Oh no. If he sat next to her she would never get any work done.

"Sure," Marinette said. 

Adrien smiled. 

"We should get to class," He said. 

The two of them walked to class together and then sat down. Shortly after Ms Bustier arrived and began the lesson. Marinette couldn't concentrate. she was too lost in thought. Cat Noir and Adrien. On the surface, they seemed like two completely different people, but if you were to dig deeper, you would see they had more in common than she could realize. Before she knew it, the lunch bell rang. She headed home and went to her bedroom. When she opened her purse, two kwamis flew out. 

"Oh, hello Plagg," Marinette said.  

"Hello, Marinette," Plagg said. 

Marinette went down to get cheese and cookies, still lost in thought. She didn't understand. What was her mind trying to do? She returned upstairs and set them down on her dresser, then sat down on her bed. Adrien and Cat Noir. Cat Noir and Adrien. The two boys who held her heart. Whenever she was with one, she thought of the other. 

What was she missing here? 

Why did she always think of one when with the other? She didn't understand.