Prologue

She ran swiftly and expertly through the shadows. The heavy downpour soaked through her clothes and chilled her to the bone. Even so, she was thankful for it, despite her condition, as it washed away her scent and the fluids streaming down from between her legs. She was being hunted and, no matter what, her unborn child could not be found.

A soft light shown through a window near the edge of town, guiding her like a beacon. She had been on the run for months now. Hitchhiking, catching random busses, doing whatever she could to make her trail as unpredictable and difficult to follow as possible. She knew her time was about up though so she clung to this one small stroke of luck. Earlier that day she had overheard a local midwife saying her sister who worked at an orphanage in another town was coming in to visit her. This is where she was headed now. She would give birth to her child then slip away in the opposite direction and draw her pursuers after her and away from her baby. No matter what happened after that, at least her child would be safe.

————————————

AUTHORS NOTE
Thanks for taking the time to check out my book. Feel free to leave comments and give me some feed back so I can get a better idea of what you like, what works and what doesn't, etc. This is my first attempt at writing something like this though so while constructive criticism is fine please don't get nasty or hateful. Thanks :)