22

Finally they reached their destination. Lying on her stomach practically the entire trip meant she could not see where they'd been headed. No matter. When she found Alaric he would know the way. And if by some chance he didn't, or was in no state to lead, she was more than capable of figuring it out on her own.

Garreth parked the car and got out, slamming his door. Opening hers, he yanked her out roughly, practically dragging her to her feet. "Get up!" He growled lowly.

"Now, now, Garreth, shes our guest" a man said, coming towards them. His tone was sickening with its patronizing mock sincerity. "Be a good lad and help the little lady. Humans are quite fragile you know."

Flipping her hair out of her face with a quick toss of her head Kay raised her gaze to study the man before her. He was a fairly slender man. He wore dark pants and an open vest and the sleeves on his button up shirt were rolled up to reveal his long, lean muscle (the kind that Kay had learned was stronger than it looked despite the apparent lack of massive bulk). The well worn stockman style hat and shaggy, dirty blond hair did little to hide the scars riddling his face. Kay didn't have to guess to know who this was, his reputation preceded him. Colt Bardolf. "So good of you to join us my dear." He said with a sneer, grabbing a fist full of her hair he leaned in close, "I know someone who'll be quite anxious to see you."

Laughing insidiously he roughly released her tresses and walked of with a "follow me" nod to Garreth. Shoving Kay along, the trio walked, or in Kay's case stumbled, towards a rundown old building. They passed through the first room into a hallway then through a door that led downstairs. While the exterior and ground floor of the building were clearly dilapidated, the large basement system underneath was quite sound and secure. Kay felt a sense of déjà vu as she was led past silver barred cells before being thrust into one of her own. Falling to the cold hard floor Kay hit her knee hard, scraping off the skin. Hissing at the pain, she waited as Garreth shackled her feet to the wall.

"That should hold her for a bit." He said to Colt, "I would suggest stationing guards nearby though. I've never seen a better escape artist."

"She won't be in here for long" Colt waved his hand dismissively. Stalking over to Kay he knelt down before backhanding her across the face, leaving a mark. "Say hello to lover boy" he smirked, opening the camera on his phone. Glaring, Kay spat at his feet. Immediately, Colt's hand shot out to grip her chin. "Those were my favorite shoes." He snarled, digging his long, sharp nails into her soft skin, drawing blood and a stifled whimper. "No matter, Alaric will do whatever I say once he sees this" he said standing and waving his phone.

"You're wrong," chuckled Kay with a defiant, steely look in her eyes, "you've just signed your own death warrant."

"Oh we'll see about that." He replied smugly. "Now, I've an important guest to go pick up. Wouldn't want him getting lost on the way."

"Hey! Gare! Aren't you gonna untie my hands? Not like I can go anywhere with my feet chained to the wall." She called as the two men exited her cell.

"Do it yourself. With your track record I'm sure you'll be loose in no time." He called back without sparing so much as a glance.

As soon as they were out of earshot Kay began working her hands loose. It took only a matter of seconds since she had already started back in the car. Bringing her hands around in front of her she then began to work on the ankle cuffs. These would be a bit trickier but given enough time she could still do it.

As she began to work the locks someone called out to her from across be hall. "Pssst, hey! You! Yes you." Said the girl as Kay looked up "is it true Alaric Fallon is your mate?"

"That's right" Kay replied with a nod.

"Thank heavens. We're saved." Sighed the girl, sitting against the wall, near the bars but careful not to touch them. "I'm Natalia by the way."

"Kay" answered Kay.

The girl was thin, way too thin! Pail and anemic, it was clear she was suffering from malnutrition. The unhealed injuries clearly visible all over her body were further proof of a prolonged period of abuse and neglect. For a Were not to have healed, her circumstances must have been extreme.

"We don't have to wait on Lec." Said Kay, her heart breaking at the sight of the girl "whether he gets here in time or not, I promise, I'll get you out."

"Just how do you plan on doing that? You're locked up even tighter than I am and you're only human." Asked Natalia.

Before Kay could answer a scuffle sounded from up the hall. Quickly, Kay refocused on her bonds. With a click they fell off just as a figure came rushing into view.

"Chase!" Kay exclaimed in surprise, "What are you doing here?!"

"I saw that mutt take you and followed you here. Now stand back!" He ordered as he blew off the lock on her cell door. "Come on! We haven't much time. This place is chalk full of those monsters and as much as I hate to admit it, I can't take that many on on my own."

"Wait! We have to get Natalia out too!" Exclaimed Kay. Turning, she was shocked at the expression on the girl's face as she stared at Chase.

"I have no time for mutts." Protested Chase.

"Look at her Chase! She's a victim here too!" Pleaded Kay. Taking the leftover putty and small explosives from her cousin's hands she quickly rigged Natalia's cell door as she'd just seen Chase do her own. A look of heart wrenching pain swept quickly over the girls face.

"I made her a promise and I intend to keep it." Declared Kay as she blew through the lock. "She's under my protection now. Got it?"

"Fine." He muttered under his breath "I can't believe I'm doing this."

———

Hey! Thank you all for sticking with me thus far! As always, if you're enjoying, leave me a vote or comment. I love to hear what you all think :)