2

Kay strode down the path leading from her small community to their gathering place down the hill. Arms laden down with table cloths, streamers, and an assortment of other things, she had to crane her neck to see over her mound of supplies. There was to be a party that night to celebrate the adolescents who were now passing from the status of "pups" into adulthood. It was a formality she had enjoyed countless times since her adoption into the werewolf pack thirteen years ago. She did not know how her parents had convinced the Alpha couple to allow them to adopt her, a mere human. Such an inter-racial adoption was completely unprecedented in the shifter world. Nevertheless, she was eternally grateful for her parents, the Alphas, and the entire pack for their genuine love and acceptance of her. They truly were her family and she wouldn't trade them for the world! She did wish they weren't quite so overprotective of her at times though. Her being "wolfless" seemed to make them think she was less capable of taking care of herself. Despite the fact that even without the obvious advantages of being a shifter, she had somehow managed to become one of their best fighters. Of course, she had her own bag of tricks she had honed in secret with the aid of the Fay who lived in the forest surrounding her home. She took extreme care in using her gifts though to keep them from being exposed. The only one who had known about them was her adopted brother, Cylas, who had been killed in a crash a few years back.

Depositing her final load on a nearby table she proceeded to assist her mother and the other women in decorating while the men worked the grills and prepared wood for the bonfires.

"Kay, give me a hand stringing these lights above the stage would you dear?" Asked Sherry Lowe.

"Sure Mom." She replied.

"Sherry, Kay, have either of you seen Andreya? I hope that child of mine isn't getting herself into trouble" sighed Mrs Fulsom.

"She's probably just snuck off to see the Alpha's boy. You know how young mates are." Chuckled Mrs. Lowe.

"I think she mentioned helping some of the pups get dolled up for tonight or something. Would you like me to find her for you?" Offered Kay.

"Would you dear? We wouldn't want a repeat of last time. I still don't know how she managed to spike the punch without anyone detecting it." She frowned.

"Sure thing Mrs. Fulsom." Kay smiled reassuringly.

Winding her way back along the footpath up the hill, she made it about two thirds of the way when suddenly screams erupted from up top! Abandoning the gentler path she took the more direct route, scrambling straight up the steep slope as fast as she could climb it. The scene that greeted her was shocking to say the least! Everywhere people were running, fighting, and screaming. The pack was under attack! Immediately stepping into action amidst the noise and confusion, Kay began directing pups towards the pack's safe room along with all the elderly, and non-fighting women. All around her her pack members were dropping like flies. This doesn't make sense, thought Kay. Unless... they are! The enemy was using tranquilizers she realized. She had no time to contemplate why though as a familiar voice sounded an ear-splitting scream! "Andreya!" Kay frantically called back in reply!

Scanning her surroundings, she feared that if she tried to fight her way through the chaos she may never reach her dearest friend in time. Darting over to the nearest building, she made her way up onto the roof. She paused briefly to see if she could spot her friend and in doing so she locked eyes with a very large, very angry shifter below. All her years among wolves told her that this was one powerful Alpha. He let loose a low, menacing growl sending a shiver down her spine. For a moment, time stood still before another scream caught her attention, breaking her momentary stupor.

Instantly, Kay shot off across the rooftops. Spying her friend, being dragged kicking and screaming towards a black SUV, Kay leapt from  the house top, tucking into a front roll as she hit the earth and charged the men assailing her friend! "Andreya! Duck!" She called before using just enough wind to subtly give her a boost of speed, lift, and force to nail both men with a spinning split kick. With no time to react, they took the force head on, literally, letting Andreya go as they were sent sprawling. "Go!" Kay cried out. "But-", "I got this! Just go! Find your mate!" she insisted, desperation and urgency lacing her command. Reluctantly Andreya turned to leave and Kay refocused her complete attention back on the challengers at hand, one on either side. Eyes black with rage, they rushed her. As soon as the first one was in range Kay dropped down, swinging out her leg for a sweep, taking him down. Using the momentum she turned to face the other, bobbing and weaving right. She then got a good clench for a double left knee followed by an axe kick knocking him out cold. Wasting no time she turned back around to the first assailant, throwing a right knee as she spun, followed by an elbow, then a left spinning back-kick right between the legs leaving him gasping on the ground.  Turning swiftly, she made to follow her friend but came face to face with another enemy Were. Before she could react though she felt something hit the back of her neck. Reaching back, her fingers found a small dart. With her adrenaline running on high and her determination even stronger she rushed the shifter before her. If she was going down then she was taking as many as she could out with her. Things began to get fuzzy for her after that but somehow she managed to take one last Were down before everything went completely black.

——————

Dun, dun, dun 0_o
...things don't look to good for Kay at the moment. Anyone care to guess what's next?