28

Chaos flooded the woods. The fear and confusion pouring off of the rouges could practically be felt as they desperately tried to make it out of the trees. They ducked and dodged trying to avoid the roots threatening to impale them and the branches pulling them into trees that opened and closed around them like hungry mouths. Arms, legs, and screaming heads jutted out of many trees only adding to the nightmarish scene. Where wolfsbane had been grown too thick to leap over in their path they had begun trampling each other, making a sort of living bridge, to get across. The agonizing howls of those being pounded into the deadly greenery haunted the air. All around, hundreds had succumbed to the woods... yet hundreds more were still making it through.

As Kay worked her way towards the edge of the trees she began to hear shots being fired and the cries of battle from the clearing beyond. Breaking free of the tree line, she paused a moment to take it in. Bodies lay lifeless in the grass as the hoard of living continued to charge the hill. Though it pained her to do so, Kay held back lest in the heat of the moment she be mistaken for a rouge and shot by one of her own. She would make it up the hill herself when she could but for now it was up to Alaric and their men.

———

Fangs bared and claws extended in a partial shift, Alaric, Myers, and their men met the rouges head on as the first wave crested the hill. Alaric had been relieved to note from their vantage point that the number of rouges making it out of the trees was far less than the two thousand that had been predicted. Still, they were outnumbered at least three to one. He knew his own men were more than capable of handling themselves, he just wished he had more confidence in Rock Creek to say the same of them.

Growls and roars of rage parted Alaric's lips as he tore through the swarm of rouges around him. It didn't take long to realize he and the other Alpha were being targeted. Ducking, dodging, and weaving, his hands shot out in a blur of lethal precision! Around him his enemies were dropping like flies. Finally ripping the throat out of the last of the mob in his immediate vicinity, he heard a definite thunk behind him and turned just in time to see a rouge, silver blade raised, fall lifeless at his feet. Alaric spared a glance up to meet the eyes of the sniper who had just saved his life. Surprised to find in was Chase, the two shared one short, barely perceptible nod before returning to the fight at hand.

Taking a deep breath, Alaric took three quick, purposeful strides before breaking out into a run at his next target. His battle cry burst from his lips, drowning out the dying cry of the rouge before him.

———

Finally atop the hill, Kay wielded a pair of glistening silver knives. Had the situation been different, doubtless others would have stopped to watch as she faught her way through the tumult with such grace it was like a deadly dance. Blades pointing down in her hands, she blocked a punch then cocked her wrist down, hooking and dragging the blade towards herself to dig it into the arm of her opponent. As he screamed in agony she stabbed him in the neck using her other hand. Flipping the knife up with a practiced ease in her first hand she spun and slashed the throat of another would-be assassin. He dropped with a gurgling cry as he choked on his own blood.

A loud angry roar bellowed through the air above the noise of the tumult sending a familiar shiver down Kay's spine. She almost smiled as she felt a small sense of déjà vu as she climbed up onto the roof of a nearby building. She had her bearing now, it was high time she found her mate.

—————

Hey! Hope you're all well :) Just got over being sick the last couple weeks myself. I now know how tired it must feel to be a bear in winter lol. Anywho, thanks for reading. Enjoy!