23

The trio wound their way back through the underground maze and towards the exit, passing rouge corpses strewn along the way. Chase lead the way, gun at the ready. As they burst back out into the sun a flash of fur leapt at Chase. Before he could respond, or even register what was happening, Natalia shot forward, throwing herself into the oncoming wolf! Crouching protectively between the rouge and his prey, ready to pounce, she let loose a terrifying growl. Her form was so scrawny and frail, especially compared to the brute before them, but she stood her ground, ready to fight to the death.
Taking aim right over her head, Chase fired his gun hitting the rouge right between the eyes!

"Where's your car?" Kay asked Chase urgently.

"Over there" he pointed then lead the way.

Reaching the car, "Alright, you two wait here and be ready to leave at a moments notice. Colt will be back and when he returns, Alaric will be with him. I won't leave without him." affirmed Kay.

"Hold up" said Chase, grabbing hold of her arm, "I may have gone against my better judgment and let you bring this..." he paused to search for the right word and Kay shot a concerned glance at Natalia, "thing. But that does not mean I'll be making that exception for anyone else. Least of all an Alpha!"

"Think about it Chase, this is our chance at Colt. Once he arrives and sees all the bodies you've left he'll take whoever's left and go. Who knows how long it will take to find him again. We're already here now, and we know he's coming, let's not waste this shot! Why don't we find ourselves a vantage point and just... wait?" She reasoned.

"... fine." He reluctantly agreed after looking about to see no one still after them. "But we'll do it my way."

"Alright, what's the plan?" Asked Kay.

"First we get those bodies out of sight." He replied, pointing to the rouges he'd shot making his way in and out of their hideout.

"He'll still smell the blood and will know something is up." Natalia pointed out.

"Yes, but I've masked my scent so if he doesn't see the bullet holes he won't know to look for a hunter now will he? Now, may I continue?" He fixed her with an exasperated glare. "We hide the bodies then you wait out front" he readdressed Kay. "I don't know much about this mate business Weres practice but if that's what Fallon sees you as then Colt shouldn't be surprised to find you waiting for him."

She nodded in agreement so he continued. "I'll find a vantage point, somewhere I can get a good clean shot, and you keep him talking. I'll only need a moment, then we make a get away before they can register what's happened. I'll cover you as long as I can while you make for my car but you'll have to be quick. If you get there before me then take the wheel. We'll need to get out of here as quickly as possible. From what intel we've gathered on Colt, he'll have his toughest beasts with him so it's best not to stick around without reinforcements."

"What about me?" Asked Natalia.

"Stay, go, what do I care? Just stay out of my way!" He spat.

"You can help us move the bodies if you don't mind." Kay offered gently. "We should do this quickly, I don't know how long we've got."

They made quick work of the bodies. Kay wondered where all the other rouges were. They should have followed them out to try to stop their escape. Surely Colt had more men. If she was to presume this to be their main base then there should still be more of them about. The fact that more had not come up to stop them worried her as she feared what that might mean.

When they had finished Chase turned to go to his position but Kay reached out and stopped him. "Sorry Chase." She said. With lightning speed and precision she then delivered a flurry of strikes to his pressure points causing him to collapse. "I can't risk you taking a shot at my mate. I hope you understand..."

"Give me a hand please Nat." she continued. Together they carried him to his vehicle, hoisted him in, and bound his hands. "Sorry" Kay muttered again to her cousin before leaving Natalia to watch after him.

Walking back into the dilapidated building, she took a quick look around. Finding a chair, she placed it in the center of the entry room, facing the door, and sat down to wait.

———————

Alaric strode purposefully forward, flanked by half a dozen of Colt's men,  gaze fixed dead ahead. His hands were bound and he had to fight to keep from stumbling as they jostled him forwards, delivering blows at their own pleasure, but he showed no sign of pain. He refused to give them that satisfaction. Instead, he was the very picture of strength and fortitude. Just wait until I get my mate back, he thought, then we'll see who's at the mercy of whom.

The group stoped abruptly as they stepped into the small clearing. Blood. The air was ripe with its oder. Quickly, Bardolf scanned the area and sniffed carefully. No unknown scents. Good. Besides his own men there were only two other discernible smells. That shewolf he'd locked in the cells. No doubt she'd have fled. Blast it, he thought, we'll have to move camp. Depending on how long it had been, she could have just enough of a head start to make it to the Rock Creek Pack for help. He'd send someone after her, but he still wouldn't risk it by staying here. The other smell was Kay. The question was, did she leave or did she stay? Her scent was too weak for him to tell. He didn't have to wait long though. As her mate, Alaric would be able to tell. Even with the drugs he'd been pumped with to prevent him from linking anyone, including his mate, her scent would stand out to him still.

As if on cue, Alaric jerked forward, a growl ripping through his chest, eyes black as night. "If you hurt her" he warned.

Good, thought Colt, a laugh making its way across his lips, she's still here.

———————

Hey all! Hope you enjoy this chapter. I'm literally nodding off as I finish it so maybe it's not too bad lol. Guess I can always come back and fix it later when I'm more awake if need be.