3

Kay awoke with a groan in an unfamiliar place. It was a cell she realized, looking around. She all but let out another groan as her brain finally decided to register what had happened. There was no telling how long she had been unconscious. If she had been shot with the same darts they were using on her pack then it would have had to have been some pretty powerful stuff... that would explain the extreme pounding in her head right now.

She got up, deciding to take better stock of her surroundings. She had been laid on a cold metal cot in one corner of the room. Very uncomfortable she decided. The lack of sink and bucket indicated that this was meant only as a temporary holding cell. On the floor near the door was a tray of food. She was surprised to see that it actually looked like a pretty decent little meal. Of course, without the super senses of a wolf, she had no way of telling whether it was safe to eat or not. She'd get back to that later though. Walking to the front she decided to examine the door and the front wall. While three walls were solid, presumably concrete, the front wall was made of strong metal bars and coated in silver (of course). Obviously they thought this would be sufficient to hold a mere human, she thought, but clearly they didn't know her reputation as a Houdini. They were making it too easy. Letting her eyes wonder further and outside of her own cell she saw there were only one or two other small cells like hers. Further down the hall to her left the walls were completely solid with thick metal doors housing only one small window each. That was likely where her packmates were being held. There were small vent like things spaced evenly up by the ceiling. Looking back in her own cell she noticed they were in there too. For gas, she concluded. To the right there was a relatively short flight of stairs leading up and while she couldn't see the top well from her position it looked like the door was set with a fairly steep tilt. That must mean she was in some sort of cellar.

Going to the tray she picked up a glass of clear liquid. First smelling, then taking the tiniest taste, she decided it was just water so she took it to sip on and sat down on the cot to wait. She should study the patterns and changing of the guard before planning a mass-escape.

After what felt like hours, though she had no real way of telling in her cell, she heard a heavy door open then the clomping of boots coming from the direction of the stairs. Two exceptionally well build shifters were dragging an unconscious form back towards his designated cell. Kay recognized him as being one of the twins from her pack but before she could be sure which one the sound of keys drew her attention back to her own cell door as a certain Alpha stepped inside. He exuded the same powerful presence she had glimpsed during his attack back home on the Rock Creek Pack. She leaned back somewhat casually on the cot and looked him over in what she hoped was an unimpressed manner (Although truth be told she was impressed. Very. Impressed... Not that she would admit it). His expression remained blank and cold at first before he looked down at the tray of food still sitting on the floor.

"You didn't eat." He stated, eyebrows creasing in a frown. Kay merely cocked one of her own back in reply.

"Name" he demanded.

Lifting her chin, she ran her eyes over him again. "Who wants to know?" She replied.

"I'll be asking the questions-"

"And I won't be answering" she cut in with a smirk.

"Are you always this difficult? You do realize that I am far more powerful than you, I could snap you like a twig without any effort at all" he asked, taken aback.

Kay merely shrugged and casually stood up off the cot. Truth was she was never like this. She was usually fairly submissive as she hated unnecessary confrontation. She didn't even know herself why all of the sudden she'd gotten a wild hair stuck up her so to speak but something in her was kind of liking it.

Slowly, she began to make a wide circle around the Alpha, just out of arms reach. For some reason she felt no fear towards him. She knew that she should, so she did keep a watchful eye on him, but for some reason she just could not. He stood his ground, watching her move around him and let out a low, almost inaudible growl which sent an involuntary shiver down her spine. As her body reacted, so did his. In an instant she was pinned against the wall. Tingles and sparks erupted where they touched immediately causing her green-hazel eyes, wide with shock, to fly up to meet his. Despite his best efforts he was not able to suppress quickly enough the flash of gold that filled his eyes causing her to gasp.

"It can't be. I... I'm human, I'm not supposed to have a mate..." she breathed in astonishment.

"You don't" he growled, tightening his grip on her, "and neither do I. No Alpha has a human for a mate!"

With that he pushed roughly off from her and the wall. "Name?!"

"Why? So you can reject me?" She asked as she regained her composure.

"Yes."

"Huh" she scoffed with a small shake of her head. Then fixing him with a cocky yet patronizing stare said "oh, hunny, you really don't want to do that and I can give you two very good reasons why..."

"First of all," she proceeded over his growls, "in case you don't know, which you should, when a rejection takes place, it isn't only the one who gets rejected that feels all the pain, the rejector suffers the hurt too. I hear it's excruciating. And since you're an Alpha, you'll feel it even more than most. I, on the other hand, am just human so I will likely feel only little if anything at all. Heh. You know I wouldn't have even known we were supposed to be mates had your eyes not betrayed you just now," she smirked, "so chances are I wouldn't know if the bond was broken either... Think about it, Alpha, you want to go through all the agony of a broken bond all by your lonesome? And that, knowing that I feel... nothing?? If you're wanting to hurt me, that clearly isn't the way to do it."

"Besides," she continued, "back during your attack, you could have left me. Surely your men would have had no problem leaving behind a worthless human. Or you could have let one of them kill me and the bond would never have had the chance to start to establish. But you didn't.  Instead, you had me brought here, unharmed, offered me actual food to eat," she gestured towards the tray, "and came to check on me. You know what that tells me?? That tells me that whether you want to admit it or not some part of you does want me. Mate." She finished with a satisfied, cocky stare.

An angry growl erupted from his chest as the Alpha shot his hand out to grip Kay by the throat. She again hit the wall shocked and winded, though now for an entirely different reason, with her feel dangling above the floor. "You're wrong," he seethed. "I don't want you. Never have, never will. But you are right about one thing though..." leaning in, his voice a sinister whisper in her ear, "killing you would be easier." Then slowly he began to squeeze as if savoring the feeling of the life leaving her body.

"I-if you're g-going to kill me..." she choked out, "be sure to do it now... y-you won't get... 'nother ch-ance..."

As her vision went dark again for the second time that day the last thing she saw was a body slamming into the Alpha! She heard indistinguishable voices as she fell to the floor then felt two gentle arms wrap around her. Then she succumbed to nothingness.

—————————

Hello readers! Hope you are doing well! It's Thanksgiving week for us in the US. Y'all looking forward to all the yummy food? I know I am! Maybe I won't eat too much this year lol.

Anywho, you've stuck with me this far! I appreciate it :) What do you think is going on here at the end? Did someone come to save her? Who??