16

That night Kay cried herself to sleep. She had always felt abandoned by her parents. Unwanted. Unloved. But if what her uncle said was true that hadn't been the case at all. Her mother had left to protect her and if she hadn't, Kay would undoubtedly be dead too. She felt guilt for the way she had thought, grief for time never spent, and longing for the love they'd never got to share.

"Rise and shine sleepy head!" called Chase, banging on her door the next morning.

"Nnnn... just two more minutes." She groaned.

"Nope." He grinned, yanking back the covers "Breakfast is ready."

Rolling over she sent him a death glare as he retreated before dragging herself out of bed. Finding her way into the kitchen, she decided this must be some sort of small cabin. The rooms were small but cozy with a wood interior and sparse but rustic decor. Soft sunlight filtered in through the window blinds, brightening up the room.

"Have a seat." Said Artemis, gesturing towards the dining table where a full breakfasts was already being set.

Obliging, Kay took the chair on the side facing the room with the best view of all entry points.

"Still don't trust us huh?" Asked her uncle, half teasingly.

"Uh, habit." She said, not meeting his gaze.

"It's quite alright." He replied, "I don't know that I'd have handled things near as well as you have if it was me in your shoes."

As they ate Kay took the opportunity to really look over her new-found relatives now that there was ample light. They were both well build and muscular, clearly accustomed to hard work by the callouses on their hands. Scars on their knuckles said they were fighters too. They were brunettes, same as her, but Artemis had streaks of grey by his temples which gave him a rather dignified look. He also had the same green-hazel eyes Kay met in the mirror everyday of her life. Chase's eyes were a grey-blue though. Perhaps from his mother? Clearly, the two men were related though. From their physical features to their mannerisms and expressions, there was no denying they were father and son.

"I have so many questions," began Kay "there's just so much I want to know... I don't really know where to start."

"Ask whatever you want" smiled Artemis, "we've got plenty of time. It's a good half a day's drive back to our home on the coast. My wife Lei has some old picture albums I'm sure she'd love to show you if you're interested."

"Half a day?" Kay's jaw nearly hit the floor "I can't be gone that long. My goodness, I need to get back home! No one knows where I am they're probably worried sick!" She rose quickly from the table as the thought hit her like a ton of bricks.

"Home?! Kay your home is with us, your real family." Exclaimed Chase. "Besides, those things who were keeping you can't possibly be missing you. That would mean that they actually care which is something they simply aren't capable of doing."

"Excuse me??" She replied incredulously.

"Look, Kay" Artemis cut in more gently, "what he means to say is, those people you were with, they aren't like us."

"What do you mean?" Kay asked, as warning bells began to go off in her head.

"You've lived among them long enough, surely you must know..." said Chase exasperatedly, "they aren't like us. They aren't human."

"You know about-" gasped Kay, her eyes grew as wide as saucers before narrowing in realization "you're hunters. Aren't you?"

"Kay, what do you know of hunters? That we're heartless killers? The monsters you tell children about to make them behave?" Began Artemis "Is that what you've been told? That we exist only to kill? Because that isn't true. Our main objective is to protect people from the real monsters out there. The ones that most humans wouldn't stand a chance against on their own."

"Shifters are not monsters" asserted Kay.

"They're killers Kay. They murmured your parents. You should have seen what they did to your mom!!" barked Chase.

"Chase!" Artemis gave his son a warning look.

"Were they hunters too? My parents that is?" Asked Kay lowly.

"Yes. They were. Two of the best in fact." Admitted Artemis.

"Then the hunters became the hunted" she muttered under her breath.

"What was that?" Her uncle asked.

Looking up she replied, "You can't just go around killing people and expect for no one to come back after you."

"Your own parents were brutally slaughtered. Don't you even care?" Asked Chase incredulously.

"Of course I do." Replied Kay sadly. "Because it's my parents it hurts all the worse but that doesn't change the facts. 'Those who live by the sword will die thereon.'...Besides, just because one shifter is evil doesn't mean they all are any more than any one of the humans on death-row is evidence to condemn our entire race."

"They aren't like us-" began Chase.

"They think and feel just like we do. Each individual is as good or as bad as they choose, same as us. And by and large, most shifters are basically good people. Just. Like. Us." Argued Kay "And you know, not all monsters change their shape. Some of them are very much human."

"We've been studying these things for generations. They're not as good as they appear to be." Said Artemis

"And I've lived among them. They're not as bad as you believe." Stated Kay.

"Kay," sighed Artemis, "have you heard of a shifter named Colt Bardolf?"

"Of course!" Replied Kay "Everyone has heard of him. He's a rouge. He leads one of if not the biggest rouge packs of all time... he's cruel, he's malicious, he's merciless... he has an indiscriminate and insatiable thirst for blood. He preys on human and shifter alike. His capacity for evil knows no bounds! But you can't comp-"

"Alright, let me ask you this then," Artemis cut her off, "if the pack who raised you was really so good, why are they in league with him?"

"They're not." Stated Kay matter-of-factly.

"I'm afraid they are" her uncle prompted gently. "Chase, show her the file."

Getting up from his seat at the table, Chase exited the room and returned with a folder not a moment later. Sliding it over to Kay he opened it before returning to his seat.

"This man, Mason Clell," said Artemis, pointing to a photograph, "is a known associate of Colt. He's believed to be one of his next in commands. Either a Beta or a Gamma I believe you'd call them. Do you recognize him?"

Kay shook her head 'no.'

"Here" he patted the folder "we have documented meetings between him and representatives from the Rock Creek Pack. Most frequently," he flipped to another picture, "with this man. If you don't believe me, you're welcome to go through the file yourself."

Kay's eyes grew wide as she looked at the picture before her. Shaking hands with Mason, plain as day, was a shifter she did know. "I think I'll take you up on that" she said.

"Of course." Smiled her uncle encouragingly, "I'll get us something to drink. This is liable to take a while."

—————

Hey! Hope you're still enjoying the story :) If you don't mind, let me know: how did you initially find this book?

@OnyinyeObiegue one of your names from last chapter's A/N was selected :)