18

Evening shadows began to stretch long across the still room as the sunlight receded from the windows.

"It's getting late and it's been quite a day. We should probably head to bed." Mumbled Kay as she finally lifted her head from Alaric's shoulder.

Groaning, he reluctantly allowed her to slide off of his lap and stand. Taking her hand as she turned to go he murmured "Sleep with me? I promise I won't do anything you don't want me to. I just want to hold you. I need to know that you're near."

The intense plea in his eyes, a look that said if he lost her again he might shatter into a million tiny pieces, tugged at Kay's heart. How could she possibly deny that? She couldn't. With one hand still safely secure in his she reached out to take hold of his other hand too. Pulling him gently up to standing, she began to slowly lead him towards the stairs and up to his room.

"I need to shower and change real quick." She whispered, eliciting a low growl and a tighter grip on her hands "It'll only take a minute. Besides, I don't think you want me smelling like somewhere or someone else while I'm laying in your bed."

His rumble deepened in his chest as he pulled her into him, burying his face in her neck. "Use mine." Came his muffled response. It wasn't a question.

Obliging, Kay let Alaric lead her into his room and towards his ensuite bathroom. "Soap, shampoo, and towels are in there. I'll get you a shirt to change into." He said lowly.

"I should go grab some underthings" she replied.

"Forget them." He grumbled "It'll probably be more comfortable to sleep without them."

"Alaric!" She gasped, wide eyed.

"My shirt is more than big enough to cover you." He reassured. "Besides, I made you a promise. So don't worry."

Somewhat hesitantly, Kay allowed herself to be pushed towards the shower. She shut and locked the bathroom door before getting undressed and stepping under the steaming hot water. She stepped out a while later smelling very much like him, having used his soap and shampoo, no doubt that was exactly what he'd wanted she thought. Slipping on his shirt and feeling very exposed without her underthings, she stepped cautiously out into the bedroom. Something small and lacy came flying at her face. Fumbling, she nearly dropped it in surprise. As she realized what it was however her face turned beet red eliciting a chuckle from Alaric.

"You went through my drawers?!" She shrieked "Alaric!!" He merely smirked in reply.

Rushing quickly back into the bathroom she pulled the underwear on. After taking a moment to try to compose herself she slipped back out, face still tinged with crimson, right into a deliciously muscled chest. Eyes slowly roaming upward, she could not help the deepening of the blush in her cheeks as her breath caught in her throat and her core tightened.

"A-Alaric" she breathed.

"Come on" he murmured, wrapping his arms around her and hoisting her up, "let's go to bed."

Carrying her over, he laid her down gently before crawling in next to her and drawing up the covers. He draped an arm over her waist and pulled her securely to him before placing a tender kiss on the top of her head and resting his chin there. The soft, steady sound of his breathing and his warm embrace soon lulled Kay into a peaceful slumber.

———

Kay awoke the next morning from what may have been the most restful sleep she had ever had. She felt so comfortable with Alaric's warm, strong arms still around her. Nuzzling her face into his chest she took a deep, satisfying breath, basking in his mesmerizing scent.