10

Save Andreya. That was Kay's number one objective. But how?

Kay looked out over the balcony, studying the layout of the pack below. It was built in a courtyard type arrangement with a large central garden. She was on the west side. On the north was the prison cellar and the woods beyond. Spanning the south was what could only be the Packhouse. It was only then Kay realized that the infirmary was actually located in the packhouse's north-western wing. She should have payed more attention when she came out it's exterior door a while ago... getting herself back on track, she continued to study her surroundings. To the south behind the packhouse were a number of individual, family homes. Andy, as Kay sometimes called her friend, wouldn't be being held in one of those. That only left the building directly across from her on the east side.

Well that's not helpful, she thought. She'd have to cross the entire courtyard, in view of all the buildings (meaning maximum potential witnesses) to get over there. It would be easiest to do in the cloak of night. Unfortunately, she was in the Alpha's room. No doubt he would be in sometime later. If he arrived and found her gone, he could have the whole pack searching... She could wait and just knock him out like she'd done the guards... but again, if something were to happen to the Alpha, the entire pack would know. She was between a rock and a hard place. She hated it, but she'd have to go during the day, before he got back. There would be no sneaking around in broad daylight though. No, this required a different approach, she'd have to act confident and look like she belonged. This was not going to be easy!

Before picking the lock and sneaking out of her room she showered in the on-sweet bathroom using Alaric's soap and shampoo so that her scent would seem more familiar. Nothing would put a shifter on higher alert than catching wind of a stranger on pack land.

She knew she couldn't go out the front with those men stationed outside. So carefully avoiding the house staff, she slipped out a ground floor window on the south side and walked casually along the sidewalk in front of the packhouse. Much to her relief she somehow managed to make it across without incident. Continuing around the east building she found a window in back that had been left ajar. She slipped in and quickly got to searching for any sign that she was on the right track. She wandered the halls for some time, amazed that there was no one around until her stomach grumbled to remind her it was lunch time. They were probably all enjoying lunch together in the packhouse.

As seconds ticked by in suspense, her sense of urgency only grew. People could be coming back to fill these halls at any minute, there was just no telling how long her luck would hold out. It was nearing a week now since the attack on Rock Creek too and that could not bode well for her friend. She needed to find her and fast.

As Kay came to yet another hallway something caught her eye. On the floor against the wall was a tiny object. She went over to get a better look. Now whether it had been kicked there unnoticed or simply been dropped she did not know. But this one little item was more than enough to renew Kay's confidence in her search. Resting now in the palm of her hand was an earring. It was Andreya's favorite and she almost never took it off.

She opened the door nearest the earring to reveal a flight of stairs. Following her gut, Kay descended them. The stairs emptied her out into another hall. At the end of which two shifters stood guarding a heavy door and from that door came the sound of raised voices. She did not know what was being said, but she did know exactly who those voices belonged to.

"Hey!" Called one of the men who had now noticed her. "Who are you? You're not supposed to be down here!"

As he approached Kay straitened her posture and strode confidently forward to meet him. When they were but a couple of steps apart Kay shot forwards! Ping-ponging between him and the wall, she first bounced off of his knee causing him to buckle, then thrust off the wall and drove her own knee into his skull! He hit the opposite wall hard and collapsed to the floor with a heavy thud. Picking up her pace she then approached the other shifter who took a moment to snap out of his shock. Bobbing and weaving left she cleared his right swing and pivoting gracefully towards him she let loose a flurry of punches and chops striking a number of pressure points, shutting his body down.

With fire in her eyes she burst open the door ready to defend her friend. The scene before her was not quite what she expected however. A disgruntled looking Andreya sat with her arms crossed facing Alaric from across a table and Cylas stood casually leaning against the wall. Although a little pale, Andy didn't look roughed up at all.

"Kay" Alaric said in surprise as all eyes landed on her.

"Touch her" Kay glared at Alaric "and I will not hesitate to kill where you stand!"

"Kay" soothed Andreya "it's ok. We've come to an... understanding"

"What?" Kay blinked at her friend in confusion.

"It's ok now. We get to go home soon" she smiled weakly.

"You get to go. Kay is already home." Growled Alaric before taking Kay by the band and dragging her out behind him.

"What?! No! You said everyone from Rock Creek could go home! All of us!" Called Andy, rising from her chair.

"And it's true." Smiled Cylas "Kay already broke all the others out so there's just you. You are 'all' of the Rock Creek prisoners now."

He placed a hand briefly on her shoulder before he too left the room.

———————

Hey! So I've been at home sick for the last couple of days (nothing serious, just a little virus and I'm feeling much better today) which means I've had a lot of time on my hands (between naps of course) to just think... and write :) so I'm putting up a few extra chaps for ya! Enjoy!