05

Lyra (2)

My family had left bright and early this morning. Surprisingly, Aunt Kya and Uncle Bumi joined them. With much convincing from Gran-Gran of course.

I promised my father I'd look out for Korra during her training. Recently, he's been more easy to persuade when it came to me. Maybe it's because of recent events or because I'm almost eighteen, but I'm not complaining.

Later today, Mako barged into my room with a big smile. I look at him with my brows furrowed, "Someone's having a good day."

"I'm just excited." He said, walking over to me and kissing my head. I put down the envelope that has Lyra written in beautiful cursive on the front down onto the bed. "About what?"

"Me and you are going on a dangerous trip to the South Pole. Well, with everyone else of course, but we'll still have some quality time together." Mako grabs my hand and pulls me up from the bed then wraps his arms around my waist, making our chests meet. "Without any parents."

"I'm pretty sure Unalaq is a parent." I respond with a chuckle.

"Without your parent." Mako corrects. "Because when he's around, I can't do this." He seductively leans in, his lips parted. When our lips connect, I breath in while wrapping my arms around his neck.

I pout when Mako pulls away. The loss of contact makes my lips cold.

I put my feet down from being on my tippy-toes then unwrap myself from him. "We still shouldn't do that with the others watching."

"I know. It just gave me an excuse to kiss you." Mako gently grabs my face and kisses me once again. "Even though I don't need one." He says between the kiss.

I playfully roll my eyes before removing myself completely from him. "When do we leave?"

"Now."

I widen my eyes. "Now?! Mako, I haven't gotten anything ready!"

"That's fine. I packed everything we would need then while you were talking with Ruka and Katara, I came in here and packed everything that you had out of your suitcase." Mako shrugs. "It was easy since you only a few things out."

"Well, aren't you sweet?"'

"I know. You love me even more for it, but let's get going. We're supposed to meet them right now."

"Okay." I turn around and quickly slide the unopened envelope into my bag. I put my bag over my shoulder before grabbing Mako's hand and leaving the room.

>>>

Once we met up with Korra and Unalaq, Mako began to strap our belongings onto an Arctic Camel.

I look around for any sign of Bolin. "Is Bolin coming?"

"He said he'd be here." Mako responds. I shrug, "I don't see him."

"I can't worry about it. I have to make sure everything is perfect before we leave. I want to make you're safe and warm and full."

"Hm," I cock my brow with a smirk. "Maybe we should go on expeditions more often."

He sent me a playful glare. "Oh, like I don't do that already for you."

"Oh, I know. Why do you think I hang out with you all the time?" I wrap my arms around his waist from behind him then lay my head on his back.

When we hear an engine approaching, we all turn as Tonraq rides in on a snowmobile.

"Tonraq, what do you want?!" Unalaq rudely asks his brother.

"I heard you're taking Korra to the South Pole."
Tonraq crosses his arms. "I'm coming."

"Absolutely not! You're a distraction to Korra and a hindrance to what needs to be done."

"My daughter is not going without me! She needs someone to watch after her."

Korra interrupts the two bickering brothers while riding on Naga. "Dad, why do you always think you know what's best for me?"

"Because he's misguided." Unalaq retorts. "The sad truth is, it's men like your father who have put the spirit world out of balance. He's ignored my warnings in the past and hasn't learned since!"

"What happened in the past?" Korra asks slowly.

"It doesn't matter." Tonraq dismisses. "What matters is the ever-storm."

"The ever-storm?" I ask as I step forward to the group.

"It's a massive blizzard that's battered the South Pole for decades." Tonraq snaps his head to Unalaq, leaning intimidatingly closer to him. "I'm coming. Unless you think you can stop me."

As the two brothers had a stare down, Mako rubs my shoulder. I look up at him and he sends me a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about the ever-storm. I'm sure we'll be okay."

"I know." I nod slowly. "I wasn't worried?"

Mako hops onto the back of the camel then I do the same afterward.

"Guys! Hey! Wait for me!"

Bolin swerves in on a smaller version of Tonraq's snowmobile. His however, had a small passenger seat on the side.

"Check it out," Bolin smirks. "I'm travelin' in style."

"Uh, where'd you get the ride?" Mako asks him.

"Varrick! He's awesome! He also gave me this fancy snow suit. It's inflatable, with an internal heater, emergency becket, and food ration pouch! I mean, if I get lost, I can survive in this thing for like a month!" He stuffs his hand inside of his suit before pulling out what looked like cucumber. "Who wants some freeze dried cucumber?"

We all stare at him with blank expressions as he waves his hand around to offer the food. "Did I interrupt a conversation?" He asks lowly.

"No. The conversation is over." Korra turns her head to her father. "Dad, come if you want. Just don't interfere with my training."

I rub my hands together with a grin. "Alright, let the dangerous expedition begin!"'