11

Lyra (2)

The boat had docked and I couldn't be more happier to be home. When I walked off the boat, I took in a breath of fresh air.

"It feels so good to be back home." I smiled with my hands on my hips.

Chief Beifong walked over to us. Her expression the same as always. "Welcome home, Avatar. Thanks for starting a war."

"I didn't start a war!" Korra tried to defend herself, but even she knew it wasn't true. "Well, I did. But it's more complicated than you're making it seem."

She ignored Korra and averted her eyes to Mako. "Mako, I want you back on the beat. There's going to be a Southern Water Tribe peace march tonight. I need you there to make sure things don't get out of hand."

Mako nodded. "I'm all yours."

"I'll go too." Korra interjected. "The people of the South need to see that the Avatar is on their side in the fight against the Northern Invaders."

"Great. That should calm them down." Beifong said sarcastically. Before she walked away and continued her business, she glanced at me and nodded. I did the same.

"Maybe you should sit this one out." Mako suggested to Korra.

"What?"

"I just think having you there blatantly supporting one side will only make things worse. You could at least try to seem neutral."

"I'm not neutral! The North invaded my home. The only reason I'm here is to get the Republic to send troops to help the South."

"Zhu Li's already scheduled a meeting for us with President Raiko tomorrow. We'll get him on board." Varrick said confidently.

Mako shrugs. "Whatever. I gotta go to work."

"And I have to go to the Orphanage." I looked up at Mako with a small smile. "Meet you at your place tonight?"

He nods then gives me a quick kiss. "See you later."

I watch him walk away with my brow raised. "Love you too..." I turn around and wave goodbye to the others. "Good luck guys."

>>>

I walk into the orphanage with a wide smile on my face. Some of the younger kids are running around, chasing each other. Those who knew who I was said their hellos, but I only had their attention for a split second.

One of the older women who worked here spotted me. We both met each other half way.

"Welcome back, Lyra." She smiled.

"Thank you, Lily. It's good to be back. By any chance chance, do you know where Aimi is?"

"Last I saw her, she was in the art room."

"Thanks." I turned on my heel and headed for the art room.

When I saw Aimi's back, I slowly walked into the room. She was standing in front of a colorful canvas with a paint brush in her tiny hand.

She hummed to herself as she stroked the brush along the canvas.

I sat down in the small chair behind her, trying not to make a noise.

"You're looking really pretty Mister Doggy."

"Hm, he looks like a bear to me."

Aimi slightly jumped before she turned around to face me. Her face lit up. "Lyra!" She jumped onto me, her small arms wrapping around my neck.

"I missed you." She said as she pulled away.

"I missed you too." I gently pulled the tip of her nose with my fingers. "See, I told you I would be back before you knew it."

"Did you bring my present?" She asked hopefully. My face fell. I mentally face palmed myself for forgetting her gift. "No, I'm sorry. There was so much going on that I didn't get to it. But I'll make it up to you, okay?"

She shrugs. "It's okay. I'm just happy you're back."

I chuckle. "Me too." I look behind me and out the door. The sound of children running around and laughing echoed through the halls. I turned back to her, "All of the kids are out there playing. Why don't you join them?"

Aimi shakes her head. "They're a lot older than me."

"There are some younger ones too."

She crinkled her nose. "They pick their nose and eat their boogers." I lightly laugh at her expression.

She glanced back at her painting. "I want to be here and paint. It's fun."

I nod. "That's alright. I was only wondering." I put a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I have to get to work, but I'll catch you before I leave."

Aimi nods with a smile. "Okay."

I stand up while she turns around and continues with her painting. Before I leave the room, I take a look at her one more time.

I walk down the stairs and head for my office. I could already see the stack of paperwork on my desk, waiting for me.

"Oh, Lyra!"

I whip my head around at the sound of my name. Lily stepped over to me as I waited to hear what she wanted.

"Did you find Aimi?"

I nodded with a small smile. "Yes, I did. Thank you."

Before she could walk off, I stopped her. "Do you think it would be possible for me to take Aimi out for dinner? I promise to have her back by curfew."

Lily shook her head slowly. "I don't think that would be a problem."

"Great, thank you so much."

"Of course, but Lyra?"

I furrowed my brows. "Yes?"

She sighed, a slight frown starting to form. "I don't recommend the attachment."

"No, no. There's no attachment." I sounded like I was trying to convince myself more than her. "Just wanting to do something nice."

Lily didn't believe me, but she didn't push it. She only nodded. "Very well. There's a stack of paperwork in your office."

"Already on it."