Chapter 4: Castle

It had been fucking brutal.

I mean, for the first hour of the rush, it was exactly how I expected things to turn out. Girls being fake as their eyelashes, sorority sisters already eyeing the fresh new meat in campus trying to figure out who they could crack first.

Pathetic.

But then, things drastically changed the moment we went from house to house.

There. Were. So. Many. Fucking. People.

It was so loud that I couldn't understand a single thing the girl assigned to me was talking about. The first day was such a blur, I had no idea how the hell I survived that shit.

The second day was meh, being the Philanthropy Day and all. We got to know more about the sororities and what charities they cared for the most. The conversations weren't any better, but the food was great.

Now two days later, it was Sisterhood Day where we got to go to the houses of the three sororities we selected yesterday that picked us back. Some were lucky and got all three, while some had just two or only one.

I got two – Zeta Theta and Kappa Pi Kappa.

Madeline caught my eye from across the room and she was trying not to laugh at my face. We were at the Zeta Theta house. They were supposed to showcase their traditions and all that shit. I raised a hand and gave her the finger. She laughed out loud, causing the other girls in the room to look at her questioningly.

Everything was pink and everyone was glowing, but it could just be the work of their highlighters. Some girls were overdoing it these days.

A girl who looked like Dakota Fanning came up to me and waved a hand in greeting.

"Hi, I'm –"

"Yeah, bye," I replied, turning my back on her.

I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. I just wanted this day to be over. If I kept this up, I was pretty sure nobody would bid my ass tomorrow on Bid Day. Go me.

"That was rude," said by another girl who walked towards me. She was wearing their house letters on a pink shirt, which told me she was a sister in this sorority. Below that was her name tag, 'Arabella.'

"Cry me a river," I replied tonelessly.

"Waste of tears. Besides, she's already doing a good job of that," she added, nodding to the girl who talked to me. She was close to tears.

I kinda felt bad. She didn't really deserve my snarky reply. But I couldn't exactly take it back either. Damn, maybe I should tone the bitchiness down a notch.

Arabella studied me. "You don't like to be here."

"What gave that away?" I said in a bored tone.

"So why are you here?"

I wasn't about to tell her that Drew forced me to. That wasn't any of her business.

So I didn't respond.

"Look," she started, crossing her arms, "I understand that you've been highly recommended by one of our sisters in our Phi Sigma chapter." (Kate, my brother's girlfriend.) "You have promising academic scores and impressive connections. But we would never force you to join us if you don't want to."

My eyes narrowed at her, trying to see behind her play.

"We both know I don't belong here. This life," I paused and looked around the girls mingling, "is not for me." I returned my attention back to her. "You know that."