Chapter 32: Love Me Tender

I covered my ears as high-pitched squeals filled the living room.

Almost all the girls in white dresses ran towards the windows to peek at the young men singing on the front lawn outside.

"Now, ladies. Calm down." Naomi was trying not to laugh, but she was obviously amused. "You're officially Kappa Pi Kappa sisters now. Once we go outside, don't forget to curtsy when they give you your roses."

"Save the squealing for later," advised Ophelia.

There were giggles all around.

When Madeline caught my eye, she covered her mouth with her hand to stop herself from laughing. Jamaica winked at me, before fixing Lilian's neat braid.

"Follow me," said Naomi, leading the pack outside.

Newly initiated brothers from the Alpha Alpha fraternity fanned out on the front lawn of the KPK house, wearing a black tie suit and each carrying a rose.

I spotted Scout, front and center. It was hard to miss his gingerness. I couldn't help the smile that creeped out on my face as we shared a look.

Otto, standing at the end of the line, raised a hand to signal the boys. When he closed it into a fist, the serenade began.

* * * * *

Some time later, we were inside the house mingling with the guys and drinking champagne – because what else were we going to drink in a sorority house?

"We're officially sisters!" exclaimed Madeline, raising her hand that was holding the glass to cheers with everyone.

I smiled as my fellow new sisters whooped and hooted with her.

A strong arm snaked around my waist and pulled me back against a hard body, while a voice whispered, "Congratulations, Miss Anderson, for surviving initiation and becoming a Kappa Pi Kappa sister. I'm proud of you."

His warm breath on my skin sent tingles down my spine.

"Hardly something to be proud about, but thanks." I turned around and faced the redheaded goof, bringing my arms up around his neck. "You, too."

"What?"

"Congrats on finding real friends through your brothers," I said, gently stroking the back of his neck. "I'm happy for you."

"I found more than that, you know."

He grinned, before leaning down and kissing me.

God, I honestly could stay like this with him forever. I'd never felt this at peace in someone else's presence before. He made everything simple and easy. Being with him made me feel a sense of calm I never knew I needed until I met him.

With him, I finally felt content.

Wanting more privacy, I found myself dragging him across the room and out of the house, until we were hidden under a big tree on the front lawn.

Scout's lips traveled down my neck, and it took all of me not to moan out too loud. Damn, he was so good at this.

"Connie," he murmured, his lips finding mine again while his calloused fingers caressed my cheek. "I love kissing you."

I loved kissing him, too. But I needed to focus.

"Scout," I breathed out.

"Hmm?"

He was too busy trailing kisses on my body. I didn't want to stop him. Fuck, I hated myself right now. But I really needed to tell him.

"I have to tell you something."