Chapter 23: Hold On

This was a bad idea.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked, for the nth time.

"What, you're ashamed to be seen with me in our hometown?"

I looked at him. "It's not that."

It's exactly that.

We were in the parking lot outside Den's Diner – in Mount Valley. After my breakdown in the alley by the Brick, Scout led me to his car and started driving around. It was too late before I realized he was heading up here.

"Don't worry," he told me. "It's the dead of night. I doubt anyone will be around enough to recognize us." He shrugged, adding, "I just figured you needed some comfort food from somewhere familiar. No one who grew up in Mount Valley can resist the food from the Diner."

He offered a small smile, and I sighed.

"Yeah, okay," I gave in, nodding.

He hopped out, going around to open the door for me and reached out a hand. I met his eyes, and I thought that was the moment I realized that my feelings for Scout were way deeper than I was willing to admit. And fuck me if I knew what to do.

But having him meant I was going to have to lose myself. I wasn't sure if I was ready for that kind of all-consuming shit. The thought still scared the hell outta me.

"Let's go inside and grab something to eat." He flashed me his best puppy dog look. "Please?"

Never in a million years would I have ever thought Scout could be so adorably cute. Damn, I was totally losing it.

"Okay," I whispered, taking his hand and climbing out of his car.

A little smile appeared on his face and we walked side by side to the entrance. He held the door open for me and even though he had done it millions of times, I still wasn't used to being treated like this.

Scout was right, though. The place was empty, aside from a couple of old men at the counter. We chose to sit at one of the booths by the window.

"My, this is something you don't see everyday," a female voice said, her tone filled with amusement.

My head whipped around and I laid my eyes on a familiar face.

"Wendy!" I blinked. "You're still here."

Wendy, the motherly woman in her forties who had worked here as a waitress for as long as I could remember, knew everyone. Naturally, she also knew that Scout and I didn't hang in the same circle.

She was actually here when a brawl between Scout's friends and mine almost broke out about three or four years ago.

Wow, that felt so long ago.

"You're right." She nodded thoughtfully. "Been here for too long now, haven't I?"

Scout chuckled from across the table. "How's it going, Wendy?"

"Why, I'm just fine, young man," she answered, smiling warmly at him. "Thanks for asking. Now, what brought you young ones here so late? Last I heard, y'all are attending some fancy schmancy university down in New Brunswick."

I almost snorted. Of course, everybody knew where Scout went for college. He was Golden Boy, remember?

He shook his head, looking at ease. "Nah, nothing fancy."

"That's what they all say."

She turned to me, curiosity clear in her expression. I could tell she wanted to say something and I waited if she would.