Chapter 5: Why Can't We Be Friends

Fuck, he was here.

"Hey, Anderson."

Shit, he saw me.

When I raised my head, I saw him eye the logo on my sweatshirt. It had the Kappa Pi Kappa letters on it. I had my legs crossed on my chair, looking chill as I stared back at him. Seriously, these yoga pants were the fucking bomb during fall season in New Jersey.

I caught Scout's eyes travel down my body that I couldn't help squint my eyes. When did he have the balls to look at a girl like he wanted to eat her up?

"Kappa Pi Kappa," he read. Finally, he met my eyes. "You a pledge?"

I nodded and turned back to my froyo, blatantly brushing him off.

Hopefully, he takes the hint.

But nooo, of course he didn't. Instead, he pulled out the chair across from me and sat like I invited him – like we were buddies. Fat fucking chance.

"Didn't know you were a sorority type of girl."

"Obviously, there are a lot of things you don't know." I looked up, just to give him a brief smile. "But that doesn't really surprise me."

He chuckled, shaking his head as if I was the most amusing thing he encountered in a long time. Well, after what happened in high school, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I bit my lip as I took a spoonful of my froyo and ate some, not willing to admit that there was a part of me that felt bad for Scout Crimson. Yeah, he was the Golden Boy back in our town with the good grades, great athletic skills, and happy family. But there was still that fact that back in our senior year, his friends had done some pretty fucked up shit behind his back.

I'm not sure if he even called them his friends anymore.

"Why don't you like me?"

I shrugged, and continued to eat my froyo. It was the peanut butter flavored one. My ultimate favorite. The crew always bought me one every month when I had my period. Yeah, they knew when it was my time of the month. They were scared shitless of me whenever I was swimming in the red sea.

There was a slight pain in my chest knowing they wouldn't be able to do that anymore now that we were in different colleges – and states.

"You hate me, then?" asked Scout.

I snorted. "You think?"

"Did I do something wrong?"

Far from it, dude. You do everything right.

Wait, that came out totally weird.

"Was it that time I accidentally threw water balloons at you?"

I slightly frowned. I already forgot about that.

It happened in fourth grade. I was on my way home when I passed by the park and there were stupid boys having a snowball fight. Scout was one of them. How did he still remember that?

Someone's got a sharp memory.

"C'mon, I thought you were Cameron."

I tried to hide my wince. That was one of the dickheads who sabotaged my friends. As a result, my friends were forced to forfeit the entire football season during junior year. Scout didn't find out that they did it until senior year, when the crew was taking them out one by one.

It had been a very dramatic couple of years.

"If I'd known," continued Scout, dragging me out of my thoughts, "I would've called for a time out."