Chapter 39: Daylight

I listened to Jamaica go off in the middle of the Brick.

"...audacity to call the hotel me and my parents were checked in at and tell me I'm making a mistake?" she demanded, throwing her hands in the air in frustration. "What the heck was that about?"

The squad was back on campus for the second semester of the school year, half of the students were. We were hanging out at the Brick and catching up.

Apparently, Brody finally gathered his balls and tracked down Jamaica. I wasn't sure what he was trying to pull. But our queen bee wasn't having it. He needed to try harder, by the looks of it.

"Maybe he's regretting not putting out," said Madeline, before taking a spoonful of her mac and cheese.

Lilian was quietly sipping her milkshake, not feeling the need to speak. She just kept her curious eyes on us and listened.

"In the middle of winter break?" Jamaica scoffed, incredulous.

"When did he call you?"

"The twenty-eighth," she answered, after checking her phone.

I chinned up. "Oh, yeah. I ran into him that day when he visited Mount Valley with Gaige," I admitted, as if it wasn't a big deal. "I gave him a piece of my mind. Looks like he acted on it."

Good for him, really. I would've taken my own advice but I hadn't called Scout – not because I was chicken shit, but because I wanted to talk to him face to face.

I was just waiting for him to come back from their ski trip.

"Did you tell him something?" Jamaica asked me. "He made it sound like he was stopping me from walking down the aisle."

Lilian giggled, while Madeline laughed.

I snorted, amused that the thought freaked him out so much. "I said that maybe you found someone who'll finally give you what you want."

"Huh." She crossed her arms and leaned back on her chair, looking thoughtful.

"Hey, Cons," Madeline called, pausing for a second to swallow her food. "Sorry, I forgot to ask – How's your ex-boyfriend slash best friend?"

I gave her the middle finger, to which she only grinned.

"Doing better," I replied.

I actually thought getting suspended would get some of the weight off of Alfie's shoulders. At least, I hoped it would. He seemed like he was back to his old self during winter break. That was a good sign.

"And Scout?"

I sighed. "Haven't spoken to him since the day after the party." I grabbed my can of soda, and downed it.

Lilian reached out and stroked my arm. I gave her a small smile.

Jamaica made a face. "Sorry, Cons."

"I totally do not envy your boy problems," Madeline muttered, chuckling.

"Problem," I corrected. "Singular."

My roommate shrugged. "If you say so."

Before I could stop myself, I stuck my tongue out at her like a fucking kid. Holy shit, I had reduced to doing this instead of dishing it out to her like a normal human being. I was losing my touch. This was definitely proof that I was really out of it.

When the hell was Scout coming back?

"Here, Mads. Have some strawberry," Lilian said, practically shoving the bowl of her favorite fruit and chocolate dip to Madeline.