Chapter 8: Power

"I want all the juicy details," demanded Jamaica.

"I asked him out," I said nonchalantly, as I dipped my last french fry into the ranch sauce. "Nothing juicy about it."

She gasped. "You asked him out?"

Madeline laughed her ass off, with her hands on her stomach and all. Lilian, on the other hand, didn't say thing. She just kept her wide eyes at me in awe, while sipping from her smoothie.

I shrugged. "What?"

"I admire your guts, girl," said Jamaica, making a hands-down gesture. "I'd rather eat my feelings than ever ask a guy out."

"Oh, come on," scoffed Madeline. "It's the dawn of the new age. It's normal now for girls to make the first move."

Jamaica pursed her lips. "While I do believe that women should always have their rights and be given equal opportunities that men receive, I still can't help that desire in me to be wooed and be swept off my feet."

Madeline studied her, before asking, "Are your parents strict?"

"My mom is," she replied, raising an eyebrow. "Why?"

Madeline ignored her question and asked another one instead. "Is she a conservative?"

I tried to hide my sneer, knowing full well where she was going with this.

"Yes," answered Jamaica slowly. "What's your point?"

"I'm just trying to figure out where your hopeless romantic side came from," said Madeline innocently.

I snorted. Having heard me, Jamaica's eyes took a sharp turn on me. I thought she was going to flip, but then she closed her eyes and started to giggle.

"Okay, fine." She sighed. "But I believe I have the perfect balance at home. My mom may be strict, but my dad's the one who lets me have an actual social life. If not for him, I'd probably attend my first house party when I'm thirty."

I smirked. "If you had your fair share of high school parties, then why are you such a lightweight?"

"Hey, I'm not a lightweight," she argued. "Bitch, we drank freaking tequila and had jaeger bombs. Nonstop!"

"She has a point, Cons," agreed Madeline.

Jamaica pointed to our curly-haired friend excitedly. "Witness!"

"It was worth it, though," added Madeline, eyeing Lilian. "We get to see Lils hugging a lamp post!"

The three of us burst out laughing at the memory, while Lilian blushed and hid behind her messy hair. One day soon, I'd give her a brush as a gift.

"How did you get there, anyway?" I asked her.

Her shoulders slumped in defeat. "I honestly haven't got a clue."

I frowned slightly. "Was it your first time drinking?" If it was, I felt bad. She should've been introduced slowly to that shit.

"No, it wasn't!" she assured me quickly, seeing the concern on my face. "However, I have been told that I tend to run when I have had too much to drink." She bit her lip, before adding, "I truly am sorry for causing you lot trouble."

Madeline waved her off. "Quit it, you've been been apologizing since Monday." She looked away and raised her hand to signal the waitress.

"We got your back," I whispered, grinning at Lilian.

"Yeah, hi," said Madeline to the server that looked about our age. She probably went to school here, too. "Can we order another cheeseburger and some nachos, please?"