Chapter 12: Naked

Damn, I was getting real comfortable being around Scout.

I wasn't sure if I liked it.

"Here comes the pizza."

Scout settled down beside me at the foot of the bed and placed the pizza box in front of us. He looked so at ease as he opened the box and grabbed a piece.

"Are you sure it's okay for us to stay here?" I asked him.

We were in his big brother's room at the Aces Estate, watching Netflix. And by 'big brother,' I meant his older fraternity brother.

See, in Greek life, it was tradition for an older member to sort of pick from the younger members who they would want to mentor and look after all throughout their college years.

The Big/Little reveal in KPK wouldn't happen until the first week of December, after Initiation Day. Honestly, I was hoping mine would be Honor. She was cool.

Anyway, Scout's 'Big' let us use his room for us to hang out in since dorm rooms were suffocating. But we had no choice because all freshmen were required to live in the dorms during the first year.

"Yeah, don't worry about it," assured Scout, opening the lid of the pizza box. "He rarely uses it anymore 'cause he's practically living in with his girlfriend off campus."

I took a pizza slice, before asking, "Why does he keep it?"

He shrugged, as he was about to take a bite. "To have somewhere decent to crash in case he's too wasted to drive, I guess."

I wasn't too convinced, and Scout might have noticed it because he nudged my side with his elbow and gave me a grin.

"C'mon, he's the one who offered his room. It's cool."

I didn't want to think about it anymore, so I began to eat my pizza and faced the flat screen tv. We were watching Narcos. It had been on my list for a while now and when Scout mentioned he wanted to watch it, I was game.

Just as the third episode started, Scout cleared his throat. "You know that paint rave philanthropy event the Aces is throwing on Friday?"

"What about it?"

"Wanna go?"

"I'm sure the Kappas will require us to go," I replied, my eyes on the screen and not paying him too much attention.

"Yeah, but what do you think about going there with me?"

I whipped my head and looked at him.

"Since everybody thinks we're dating and all," he added in a shrug, turning his head towards the tv. "Gotta keep up the act, right?"

"Right," I said slowly, staring at him for a moment.

He acted like it was no big deal, so why was I hesitating? I mean, there was no way he could mean anything else other than that. I was just overthinking.

Shaking my head, I smiled. "Sure"

"Cool." He nodded, before leaning back on the edge of the bed and keeping his eyes straight ahead. "I'll pick you up at your dorm."

"Okay."

I could swear I caught the corner of his lips turn up in a small smile.

* * * * *

I heard a knock just as I was putting on my socks. Hopping to the door, I was surprised to see Scout when I opened it.

"Why didn't you text that you're already here?" I demanded. I didn't like being caught off-guard, if that wasn't obvious enough.