Chapter 31: Mad Hatter

"Where the heck is Lils?" asked Madeline.

"She got caught up in a paper due on Monday," explained Jamaica, looking at her phone. "She said she's on her way, though."

"We need to open now," I told them. "We can't fuck this up."

Jamaica nodded. "We can manage while she's not here." She tucked her phone in her pocket, and added, "C'mon, girls. We can do this."

The three of us faced the crowd waiting for the carnival to open. I had no idea how we thought we could pull this off with just the four of us organizing every bit of it but here we were with our group mission.

We asked the school for permission to use the soccer field for the event today. Most organizations used this open space for charity events, anyway.

The next couple of hours, the three of us were busy making sure everything was going smoothly. We didn't expect a lot of people to show up. But then again, everyone wanted an excuse to take a break from school.

What better way to spend the weekend than at a charity carnival where you could enjoy yourself and still feel good about yourself, right?

The KPK executives looked happy and impressed as they tried out the booths, so that was awesome. Everything was going according to plan. Our group mission was turning out to be a complete and utter success.

As I was making the rounds with Honor, I caught Jamaica and Madeline talking in hushed whispers behind the fortune telling booth. I excused myself from talking to Honor, and walked up to them.

"What's going on?" I asked.

With her hands on her hips, Madeline turned to me and said, "Lils is still not here. We're getting worried."

My eyes widened. "It's been more than two hours."

"Exactly," said Jamaica, in a grim tone.

I frowned, pulling out my phone to call our friend.

"She's not answering," said Jamaica. "I already tried."

"Fuck," I muttered, when it went to voicemail.

"I tried asking the other sisters if any of them saw her," began Madeline, "and no one has seen her since this morning."

Jamaica crossed her arms, looking more worried by the second. "She was able to text me earlier so something must have happened on her way here."

"It's broad daylight on a Sunday," I pointed out. "I doubt any serial killer would be dumb enough to target her in a crowded college campus like this. Plus, she blends in so well barely anyone would notice her presence unless it's intentional."

I nipped the tip of my thumb as I thought about it. I could feel Madeline's eyes on me, as she asked, "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"No!" Jamaica gasped. "Zeta Theta?" she added in a whisper, confirming what we were all thinking.

"I'm gonna kill those Zits," growled Madeline, scowling.

"Hold on," warned Jamaica. "We don't know for sure."

"Then, let's make fucking sure," I grumbled, turning to my phone and scrolling through my contacts.

I swear I'm going to fucking grill them alive if they even so much as touch a hair on Lilian's hair. She has the purest, most kindest soul on earth – next to Halo.

When I found his name, I immediately pressed 'call.' As I expected, he answered on the first ring.

"Hey," greeted Scout. "We're on our way there."