Chapter 34: All The Same (Past)

Half a year ago
Mount Valley

It was night.

It was quiet.

It was sad.

Alfie and I were sitting side by side at one of the benches at the park in Mount Valley, facing New York City's mesmerizing skyline.

"This is it, huh?" muttered Alfie, with his elbows on his knees and his eyes on the city across the Hudson river.

I didn't speak. I didn't know what to say.

With a heavy sigh, he leaned back. "I don't want this to fucking end, Con."

Me, too.

But I didn't say it out loud.

We both decided at the beginning of the summer that we would end it before we went off to college. It was a mutual decision. We talked about this.

But I guessed now that the end was finally here, there was a part of us that was questioning if this was the right move, after all.

Alfie faced me, his eyes meeting mine. "I love you."

I believed him. I really did.

But the thing was, we had loved each other ever since we were kids. Being in a relationship was a completely different thing.

I looked up at the summer night sky, blinking back my tears. I crossed my arms and tightened my jacket around me, protecting myself from the cold breeze.

"I love you, too," I admitted. "I always will. But it's not..." I shook my head, remembering why we were doing this. "It's not healthy, Alfie. We fight more than we make up – even about the dumbest shit."

He took a deep breath, and turned away from me.

"We clash all the fucking time," I continued, looking at him. "You get jealous of any guy that comes close to me, and I feel the same whenever a girl flirts with you."

At some point, we became so possessive of each other that Oz had to step in and knock some fucking sense into us.

"God, you can be so controlling. It's driving me fucking crazy."

"Ditto," he replied, and I couldn't help the small laugh that escaped my lips. He was always so good at lightening up the mood. "Yeah, I guess we are too similar," he finally agreed, nodding.

"Like twins." I nudged his body with mine playfully.

He chuckled. "Well, I mean, it is pretty hot that I fucked my twin."

I made a face at that. "Ew, incest!"

"Hey, you're the one who started it."

Laughing, he put an arm around my neck and pulled me closer to him. It wasn't a romantic hold. It felt more like I had my best friend back.

We let the silence engulf us as we watched the city lights from afar. We let each other reminisce about the good old times because despite the crappy side of things, we had a pretty good run.

"I'm gonna miss you, Con."

"I'm gonna miss you, too," I told him honestly, and it was more because of the fact that he was going states away for college soon. "But hey, don't forget that I'm still your best friend."

"Nah, you're my family." He kissed the side of my head. "My only constant."

"Like a twin?"

He burst out laughing.

And you'll always be my first love.

"Shame," he sighed sadly.

"What is?"

"Letting go of the best sex I ever had."

I rolled my eyes, but laughed all the same.

I knew then that even though we were breaking up as a couple, we'd still be in each other's lives as best friends – as family.

I was sure of it.

_____________

Yes, I know the update is very short. That's why...

Next update: Tomorrow (April 29)

ALSO, I LOVE THE SONG WITH THIS CHAPTER. I wasn't really supposed to write Alfie and Connie's break up scene. But then, I heard this song and I suddenly had this vision of them sitting in the park (where Dakota confessed to Aaron, where Halo had her first conversation with a drunk Oz) and it was sad. So here we go. Plus, this is a nice  little intro to next chapter. ;)

Coming up next..... Chapter 35: Sound of Madness
Time to stir up some trouble.

#SavageMeWP