Chapter 35: Sound Of Madness

Holy shit.

I watched Alfie's truck pull up in front of the Aces Estate. The party filled out to the front lawn because it was the last bash for the whole Greek community before everyone went home for winter break.

Needless to say, everyone was here.

So what the hell is he doing here?!

Alfie got out of his truck and closed the driver's side door, his eyes scanning the crowd (no doubt looking for me).

"Who is that?" asked Jamaica, eyeing him curiously – as did every girl who had a front row view of him across the lawn.

I tried looking at my best friend through Jamaica's eyes.

I mean, I could understand the curiosity. He wore a black leather bomber jacket, with a black shirt underneath, his dark hair was tousled like he just had the best sex ever, and his bluish green eyes had that dangerous glint to it.

All in all, he looked like the kind of danger your parents warned you about. But then again, danger never looked so good and inviting.

Taking a deep breath, I glanced at Scout who was on the other side of the lawn. He was watching Alfie, too. He didn't give anything away, but I knew he was alert. With Alfie, no one ever really knew what they were in for.

Alfie's eyes found me then, and his expression darkened instantly. Looking like a man on a mission, he crossed the lawn and made a beeline for me. Without warning, he cupped my face with a hand and straight on kissed me.

I was too stunned for a moment that I wasn't able to do anything. What the fuck was going on? But before I could push him away, someone pulled him from me.

"Alfie," deadpanned Scout, flanked by his frat brothers.

I snapped. "What the hell?!"

"I fucking knew it," my best friend only said, wearing a wide sarcastic grin.

Scout whispered something to Brody and Gaige. The two nodded, before they fanned out to get rid of people near us so we'd be out if earshot from nosy bystanders.

Damn, this wasn't how I pictured the night to go.

"You told Oz, Con," accused Alfie, looking betrayed. "You told him about you and this fucker." He nodded to Scout, who was now beside me. "But you didn't fucking tell me. What, you think I'm not worth shit so I didn't have the right to fucking know?"

Jamaica's hazel eyes looked like they were gonna bulge out from their sockets. She probably hadn't heard someone curse so much before.

Through gritted teeth, I explained, "I didn't tell Oz. He figured it out." I stepped forward, looking my best friend dead in the eyes. "And I didn't want anyone from back home to know because I knew how everyone was going to react."

"Bullshit," he spat. "You didn't want anyone to know because it would get back to me." He got closer to my face, and his voice turned dangerously low as he added, "And you knew how I'd fucking react."

I glared at him. "What's your point?"

"You know my point."

Exactly. He knew and he still acted like this.

Ha, and he was wondering why I didn't let him know right away? He and I both knew he'd lose his shit. He only proved me right.

Neither of us backed down from the staring contest we suddenly had. With both of us being stubborn asses, we probably would've stayed there all night if not for Scout stepping in.