Chapter 13: Out Of Nowhere

I was bored as fuck.

"I can't believe he's late," groaned Madeline. "He knows we have to go back to campus right after this."

We were at some fancy restaurant in New York City to meet Madeline's cousin, Peter, for lunch. He asked for her to make a proposal about why it was beneficial for him to donate to charity.

She was the only one with the individual task left to do in the squad. I was only here for moral support.

"It's Saturday," I reminded her.

"It doesn't matter," she huffed, crossing her arms. "Time is gold."

I tried not to laugh, amused at her cranky ass today. My eyes wandered around and I observed our surroundings. Almost everybody were in their suits, looking as if they just got off work, even on a weekend. Madeline and I were the only ones wearing casual clothes.

It wasn't my first time at a high end restaurant like this. My brother, Drew, took me and our dad to the city right after he got signed to play in the NFL. Even though we dressed fancy for the occasion, it still made me feel like I didn't belong.

"Emma's social experiment video will go live sometime today," mentioned Madeline, referring to our fellow KPK pledge's task.

I turned to her. "What's the social experiment about?"

"Frat guys drugging girls at a bar," she answered, with a straight face. "They wanna to see how many people will react, whether they'll help or stay out it."

My eyebrows lifted in surprise. "That's ballsy, considering we're involved in the Greek system."

"That's exactly why she thought it was relevant."

I nodded, silently expressing my approval. Even though she was doing nothing wrong, there was no telling what the backlash would be. Kudos to Emma for not giving a shit and standing her ground. The fact that the KPK executives approved her task said something, too. Then again, Naomi was badass – in a girly kind of way.

"How was your study session with Red the other day?" asked Madeline, picking up her glass of water to drink.

"Meh." I merely shrugged, not wanting to tell her how he was starting to flirt heavily with me because she'd think it was odd for me to find that weird since we were supposed to be dating for about a month now.

I could clearly remember what happened. It still gave me chills.

We were at the library, and Scout was staring at me from across the table while I was studying. His book was open in front of him but he was ignoring it.

"Study," I said, without looking at him.

"I am," he whispered. "I'm studying you."

I flinched, before raising my head to meet his eyes. "Ew, stop that shit."

A chuckle escaped from him. "That's cute," he added quietly.

Not once did he ever call me gorgeous or sexy, always only cute. I had to admit that I liked it, despite how wholesome it was. It made me feel... clean, and not broken.

But I still had to act like his statement annoyed me. I didn't want him to know what was really on my mind.

Letting out a deep breath, I stared at him with a raised eyebrow. "Are you that bored with your readings that you're flirting with me right now?"

He didn't reply right away, but kept his eyes locked on mine with a stupid smile on his boyish face. As if coming to his senses, he turned his attention back to his book and shook his head like he just decided against something.