Chapter 73

Layla's POV

I had stopped crying a while ago. My eyes were left burning and bloodshot, drained from the tears, they could barely stay open.

After talking to Luca for five minutes he said he'd come in half an hour so I can have time to pack my stuff. I was so grateful.

I had a small black suitcase set up on my bed as I put in my clothes. When I come across some shirts that I had nicked from Killian, my eyes begin to tear up again. And I chuck them inside the suitcase, taking in a deep breath.

I head over to the drawer and open one up, seeing a load of trash. I chuck most of them in the bin but when my eyes land on a thin silver chain with a small heart attached to I frown, gently picking it up. It was simple yet so beautiful.

My eyes then catch onto a crumpled paper inside the drawer with some writing on it.

This is sappy but fuck it, I don't have the balls to give it to you 'cause I'll look like a right fucker but thought you'd like some romantic shit, anyway the necklace I picked out reminds me of you, hope you like it, baby. & no you don't have to pay me back so don't even think about it. But if you're desperate, I wouldn't mind a kiss ;) Sleep tight beautiful. xx

I place my hand over my mouth as tears build up in my eyes.

Why did I have to see this now?

My lip begin to tremble.

Why does it have to end?

I continue with the packing, putting the necklace into my pocket, along with the note.

When I come across grandma's album I let out another breath, picking it up as I eye it up. Its like nearly eight years old.

For the next ten minutes I distract myself by flicking through the pages and looking at each of the pictures. When I stop at a particular one I feel my heart clench, and I smile sadly. It was a picture of me as a baby in grandma's arms.

Just then I hear the door to my room creak open and I snap my head up, my eyes landing on dad as he enters my room, a box in his hands and I frown.

He closes the door shut and makes his way to me, his tired grey eyes meeting my own and he grimaces. I probably look like shit.

"You're leaving then, huh?" He asks, his gaze dropping to the suitcase as he gently puts the box down and I nod, pushing my hair back.

"Probably for the best." He responds, pursing his lips.

When its quiet I clear my throat.

"Why didn't you tell me about my real mother?" My voice comes out quiet.

He glances away from me sucking in a sharp breath. "I don't know." He scratches his scruffy beard. "I just.." he trails off.

He was never going to tell me.

Another moment of silence passes.

"She was an amazing woman." He sighs and I feel my weak heart thud and I glance up at him again watching as he gulps. His face filled with guilt.

"Layla it's time for me to explain everything, properly..."

Flashback, (an insight to Layla's past)

You'll take care of her won't you?" Stella whispered weakly to Gerald who stared down at her with sadness, looking down into her big, green eyes, filled with pain.

"You're going to make it, Stel." Gerald's voice cracks, holding back his tears.

Stella gives him a weak smile, knowing she wouldn't. Guess this is Karma. She thought, knowing well what terrible things she had done behind her beloved sisters back.