How it Starts

" Hey! " 

   " Look the little mouse is trying to squeak. "

   " Leave me alone you imbeciles. "

   " What did she call us? "

   " I don't know but I don't like it. "

I felt the fire spring on my back and realized they had kicked my back again. Right now I was laying on the ground trying to pick my stuff up that they knocked out of my hands and they kicked me. The boys kicking me where Horie and Rai. I don't know why they decided to bully me but they did.

   ' This is a great way to start out a Monday. '

   " Leave me alone! "

   " Look the mouse is still squeaking. " Horie said 

   " Maybe we should shut it up. " Rai replied

   " Hey stop that you two! "

I looked to my left and saw my best friend running towards me. Horie and Rai then glanced at each other and started running away. I glared at their backs and sat up. I started grabbing my papers and books when a hand landed on top of mine accidentally.

   " You didn't have to help me you know. "

   " Yes, I did. I'm your best friend. If I didn't help you then I would be a terrible friend. "

We both stood up and he handed me the papers he gathered. His light brown hair glistened in the sunlight that shone through the windows in the high school hallway. His brown eyes glistened in the light as well. A small smile played on his face when he saw I was alright.

   " Thanks, Light. I don't know what I would have done without you. "

   " Me either Y/n. Why did you let them bully you for this long? We're about to graduate soon. The exams are coming up. "

   " I don't know. I guess they will just get their karma when it comes. For now, I can deal with it a couple more weeks. "

   " Let me know if you want me to deck them. I will if you say I can. "

   " Light you can't get into any trouble. It's fine. "

   " Let me walk you to your class and then I'll go to mine. "

   " Are we still meeting at the same place as usual? "

   " Yes. Outside in the courtyard. "

   " I'm just making sure. "

I nodded and showed him a small smile. He returned the same small smile and we started walking to my classroom. It was my math class. I didn't really like math but I was passing it with an A+ so I'm doing something right. I looked at the outside world through the windows as we walked towards the classroom.

   " Y/n do you ever thing life gets boring like this? "

   " What do you mean? "

   " I'm just thinking. We go to school, get a job, get married, have kids, then we die right? Doesn't this life sound boring to you? Life just seems a bit boring. "

   " That's an interesting thought Light. I guess it does sound a bit boring, but it's our lives. We're living it and I guess its just the thrill of having one life that excites everyone to live their lives. "

   " That's just it though. We have one life so why not make it exciting? "

   " Nowadays Light we can't do anything unless we have money and in order to get that most of the time to make a lot of money we have to get an education. "

   " I just...I just wish life was a little more interesting than this. It's boring. The world is rotting."

   " ... "

I looked up and realized we made it to my class. I waved at Light and gave him a small hug and walked into my class. I sat in my usual seat and waited for sensei to walk into the room.

( Time Skip )

I left maths and walked downstairs and headed for the courtyard. I walked outside and saw Light looking at something. I couldn't see it clearly but he seemed engrossed in it. 

   " Hey, Light. "

He jumped a little bit and turned towards me hiding the object behind himself.

   " Hi, Y/n. "

   " What's that behind your back? "

   " Nothing special. I just dropped one of my notebooks. "

   " Okay. Are you ready to go? "

   " Yes, let's go. "

We left the school grounds and started walking towards our neighborhood. Light and I lived close to each other so we walked home together after school along with walking to school in the mornings. Light seemed deep in thought as we walked home so I didn't say anything. 

   " Y/n? "

   " Yes, Light? "

   " We are about to graduate have you thought of what college or university you want to go to? "

   " Not yet. I'll find out soon though. "

   " I hope we go to the same one. I don't think I could survive without seeing you every day. "

I looked up at Light and saw a light pink dust cover his cheeks. I smiled and felt the same small blush make its way to my face.

   " I agree, Light. "

We said our goodbyes and walked into our separate houses. I walked up to my room and fell asleep quickly. I was worn out after school. I shut my eyelids and fell into a dreamless sleep, then as soon as I closed them I opened them again to see sunlight streaming through my closed window. I got out of bed and changed into my school uniform and walked downstairs. I grabbed a piece of bread and put it in the toaster. I went to the couch and turned the TV on. The news channel was the first channel that popped up.

   " Today we have found a biker gang leader dead on the road from a delivery truck. His name was Takuo Shibuimaru last night he died by a convenience store by a hit and run. The man drove on his motorcycle in front of the truck chasing after a woman who he was found harassing and trying to rape. He died quickly by the truck."

I heard the toaster bing but I didn't pay attention to it. All I could do was stare at the TV.