Chapter 17

"So Carl, how long are you staying with us?" asked Nolam.

They already had diner and they were now back in the living room. At first he had been vexed that his wife didn't told him that the man would be there. But he had to admit that his brother in law was a pretty chill out guy. He was the first member of her family he had met with. This had been a source of conflict between them for a while. She knew every member of his family and entourage. But he had yet to meet her family. Not even on a phone call. That would be discussed later. He thought.

"Just three more days."

"Three days! Can't you stay a little longer? I'd like to spend more time with my in law."

"Maybe another time. I've been here for almost two weeks now."

"Okay."

Clytia noticed the glitch in her husband expression. She knew he would come back later to that point. But she decided to let them talk. After all that was what he had been bugging her about for the last months.

"We are planning a trip to Dubai with a few friends of mine, men only. I was trying to convince Cly to let you join us."

"Sound interesting."

"Yeah, but no. I'm not letting my man with you bro." intervened Clytia.

"Eh! What are you implying? That you don't trust me?" asked Nolam suddenly defensive.

"Oh it's not you that I don't trust. It's my brother. I care too much about you to let him break you. The last time I went to one of his parties, I ended up babysitting the whole thing, not even one responsible adult being among his friends."

"Hey! I'm not the one who got married in Vegas." He answered playfully.

"Asshole" she laughed throwing a cushion at him.

"Honey!"

"Nolam."

"Why didn't you tell me your brother was here?"

They were in their room. He was laying on the bed, while Clytia was on the comforter reading.

"I forgot?" she said, more like a question, not raising her head from her book. "I don't know Nolam. I didn't think it was important since you were not supposed to be back before he would have left."

"I've been asking to meet your family for a while Cly. I'll come to think you're ashamed of me or something."

"Here we go again" she sighed for herself. But he heard it.

"Yeah here we go again. Damn it Cly!" he spat raising and walking to her. "Do you know how it makes me feel? We've been together for almost six months and apart from a few of your friends, I don't know your parents. You never let me talk to them. I have the impression you make sure to talk to them whenever I'm not around so they don't find out about us. What's the problem? You're not as dedicated as I am to this relationship." He finished throwing the book she had at the other side of the room.

She took a deep breath before looking at him. He was clearly pissed off. She would normally calm him down with a hug but she was not in the mood.

"What do you want from me Nolam?" she asked exasperated.

He sat beside her, caging her with his arms on each part of her thighs.

"You!" he said looking straight in her eyes.

"You already have me." She said reassuring.

"No, not entirely. I want all of you Cly."

"What do you want me to do?" she asked pushing him and getting up.

"I want to meet your parents." He answered getting up too and towering over her.

"It's too early for that."

"Six fucking months" he snapped. "How long?"

"Just a little longer Nolam. Just few more months. "

"Damn it Clytia! I'm just human and I don't know how much I can take. I give you my all. And all you do is crushing my freaking heart!" he yelled, running his hands in his hair in a frustrated movement. "I fucking love you!"

Clytia felt her heart miss a beat. She didn't know what to answer. She deeply care about him. Was she in love? She didn't think so. At least not yet. He was right when he was saying she was not fully committed. She was just there so that when it would scramble, she would be able to say she tried. However, that was not fair to him. He was a good friend, a good partner and a good husband.

"I... I" she stuttered.

"You don't have to say it back." He said sitting on the bed, defeated.

It was evident that he was hurting

It was evident that he was hurting. She walked to him, crouched between his legs and posed her hands on his knees.

"I... I'm here with you Nolam. I'm might not be at the place as you, but I'm right here with you, for you. I'm sorry for hurting you."

"I don't want your excuses Cly."

"I can't give you what you want from me at that moment."

"Then what are we doing together?"